ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM

How is Bird Hunting in your area? (Quail)

(1/6) > >>

Ben Framed:
We had some mighty good quail hunting here in North Mississippis when I was growing up. The birds have seemed to go the way of the Buffalo 'in my area' these days...

Phillip

gww:
Same here but the wild turkeys are back.
Cheers
gww

Ben Framed:
Our wild turkeys are back too. (plenty) Never had many when I was kid, (away from the Mississippi River Levee area)... They seem to be everywhere in my area now. I sure miss the birds (quail)....

Phillip

G3farms:
Have not seen quail around here since 1998. Use to have plenty of coveys of them to scare the crap out of us when walking across a field.

the TWRA brought the turkeys back in and have several around. Kind of funny how they move around and have travel routes they use.

The15thMember:
We also have lots of turkeys; we see them everywhere.  I'm not a hunter, but looking at the statistics from the NC Wildlife Commission, populations of bobwhite quail are low compared to previous years, but we have enough that there is still a season to hunt them.  At our previous property I heard a male bobwhite calling very close by once.  I whistled back to him and he answered me, although I never saw him.  Even when our populations were higher, we never had an abundance of quail in the mountains, as they are more of a field bird, but we used to have grouse, and their populations are also low, so there is a lot of focus on managing habitat for them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version