Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Odd question, but...  (Read 4853 times)

Offline beegardenbirder

• New Bee
Odd question, but...
« on: August 04, 2011, 08:28:23 pm »
Is there something that can be used as a bee repellent? Every time i go out to water the garden the bees come to check me out, it is very hot and dry here, and even though i have three watering stations around the yard, they come to me whenever i get the hose out. This was all fine and good during summer break, but now i need to get the watering done quickly and get to work. Is there some kind of essential oil or something that they don't like that i can spray on to keep them at a distance?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Odd question, but...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:16:45 pm »
Bees are just thirsty.   Give them a drink.   And bees in the field will not bother you.   Don't worry about them.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:23:12 pm »
Try a banana peel  :evil:

Just kidding...yeah they're just thirsty

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:55:45 pm »
You could also stop eating honey right before you water the garden also.  I blame the sticky fingers.   :-D

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 01:05:33 pm »
Is there something that can be used as a bee repellent?

How about Bee Quick. I just started using it to extract honey and it works great on getting the bees out of the supers. It smells really good, like almond extract. My buddy, Jim, put some on his hands to see if it would protect them from getting stung. It worked, although my bees are very calm most of the time anyway. You might put it on your clothes instead of on your skin. Just in case you are allergic to is.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 08:26:30 am »
I only water at night (soakers and sprinklers) or early morning.  Besides being a more efficient use of water (considerably less waste due to less condensation) there's no bees to fear ;)

thomas
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:47:46 pm by T Beek »
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:27:10 pm »
Mine have been doing that lately, too, despite plenty of water all around. I wonder if they're desperately looking for nectar?
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 02:55:49 pm »
i find that whatever water source i leave for the bees, they often seem to prefer the wet dirt.  you should have another water source for them, but that may not help. 

consider making them their own mud hole that stays wet all day.  this may satisfy them and keep them out of your way.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 11:11:44 pm »
Mine LOVE my driveway after it's rained or when I've watered it.  They can get water without drowning, it's usually warm and dirt, I'm sure, has some odor... it only lacks reliability...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything