BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Golden Rod

(1/6) > >>

bwallace23350:
We have had a super wet year. Already over 70 inches of rain. Will I be able to harvest some golden rod honey this year?

Van, Arkansas, USA:
Mr. Wallace, in Arkansas there are over 20 different species of Goldenrod.  Some species like wet soil while others like dry, well drained soil.  In the US, there are over 100 species.

In Arkansas the goldenrod blooms from July through Sept on average.  This day, today, my bees are packing in pollen, several different shades of color, even though we had 3/4" rain this morning.  Go figure, I would think the pollen would have been washed off the flowers.

I'm sure in your area there will be some, at least some goldenrod, remember some species like moisture.  70 inches is awesome, maybe to awesome, I agree.  However goldenrod is a prolific plant producing lots of both nectar and pollen as you probably already know.

Have you noticed bees bringing in pollen lately???  I would say in my area, N Arkansas, the fall flow has started, judging by my bees packing pollen.
Blessings

paus:
The Goldenrod bloom has started in earnest in NE Texas, but no bees on it.  But they are working something as they are bringing in pollen.  No one around that I have talked to has much of a honey crop and every one is blaming the unusual amount of rain, including today.  Do the bees work the Goldenrod first or is that a second choice?   

Acebird:

--- Quote from: bwallace23350 on August 17, 2017, 11:12:28 am ---We have had a super wet year. Already over 70 inches of rain.

--- End quote ---
Rain is a wonderful thing until there is too much.

BeeMaster2:
"Paus",
The bees work the best sources of food whether it is pollen or nectar.
If they are not working the Goldenrod, either there is a better plant or the goldenrod is not producing nectar. The second part happens a lot. This spring, there were tons of Gallberry flowers, they were working it, I saw the bees on it, but there was very little nectar.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version