Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drawing comb  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
Drawing comb
« on: March 22, 2016, 07:31:46 pm »
Hi,

Because of our poor year some of my hives haven't kicked on as I would have hoped. I would like to go into winter with 2 deeps of bees and stores.

Some of my deeps do not have fully drawn out frames.

I am feeding my hive and wondered if bees draw wax when they are being fed? Or just when there is a flow on?

Cheers

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
Re: Drawing comb
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 01:11:10 am »
From what I have read they will draw when being fed - perhaps they have slowed down the drawing of comb because of the oncoming winter and queen reducing her laying? I think I read somewhere that 1:1 syrup is used to help draw comb while 2:1 syrup is generally stored (or is it the other way around??)

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 06:31:46 am »
Don't stress them they have had a hard enough year already.push them down to one box and feed them if you have to.if you have more frames that are full then make one hive 2 high and the other put to bed as a single. To constantly feed them sugar is giving them all the wrong stuff it should  only be a substitute.
But yes if you give them enough they will build comb. White brittle comb but yes comb.
Good luck.let know what you decide and how it works for you.

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 06:34:16 am »
Hopefully we have a few more warmish weeks here in tassie so just trying to build them up a bit more. Its only my second winter and my first with more than 1 hive so i guess I'll learn a fair bit more this winter than last 😊

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 12:38:12 pm »
They draw wax when they need comb.  They need comb when none is available (it is either full and capped or doesn't exist) and they need somewhere to store nectar.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 04:36:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies ☺

anything