Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starter strip options  (Read 9198 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Starter strip options
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:23:52 pm »
I have several frames with starter strips.  I started with thin surplus, but this has to be replaced every year after a crush and stain.  I do not relish this.  I have also used plastic foundation as a starter strip.  (I cut the edges and stapled them into the goove.  I only get two per sheet of plastic that I saw up due to thickness).  These seem to work well in that they are in place and re-usable each year. So, I am out of the edges of the old Mann Lake plastic foundation that came with the kits.  What should I use now as a starter strip that will be re-usable and easy to construct? 
Brian

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Starter strip options
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:32:54 pm »
Craft sticks, paint stir sticks, nothing, wedges of wedge top frames turned down...just about anything. If you already have drawn frames to work with you can put anything sandwiched between two drawn frames and they will draw it out straight.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:41:39 pm »
Walter Kelly also sells frames with built in starter strips that are just fantastic! In Deep & medium.

http://kelleybees.com/CMS/CMSPage.aspx?breadcrumb=true&pageName=Products&ProductId=6563%7cProductGroup%7c%7c%7c518%7c0&organizationId=3

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:58:05 am »
Any wedge top bar with the wedge rotated 90 degrees works fine.  A strip off of a 3/4" board ripped to 1/8" works fine.  The triangular top bars on Kelley's frames are very nice.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:13:46 pm »
Instead of cutting out the entire comb, why dont you leave about an inch worth at the top to reuse again?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:50:45 pm »
Another option - coroplast in grooved top bars.  Easy to install (1 air staple) and lasts the life of the frame

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:54:05 pm »
When you cut off the comb for crush and strain, there is a little ridge left on the bar - even if you cut right next to the bar. 

I don't on purpose leave any particular length of comb when I cut it off, but all the bees need is the beginning of a cell to get started.  There's always a little left.  I never replace the strip after the first year.  I just put the dripping frames back into the hive and if there is a flow on, they'll immediately draw new comb and fill it with honey.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 01:51:32 am »
One cell across the top is plenty.  As Linda says, even the outline of a cell will work.  You don't need a whole inch.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 12:16:50 pm »
great information.  The frames from last years harvest do have a little ridge of wax filling the groove.  It sounds like that will be fine and then I can use the strip of wood or sign material for new frames.  Thanks folks, I appreciate the help.
Brian

Offline S.Rummings

• House Bee
    • Organic Fertilizer
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 03:57:00 pm »
Another option - coroplast in grooved top bars.  Easy to install (1 air staple) and lasts the life of the frame

Sorry to reply to such an old post but I am building frames this weekend and was wondering what direction the holes in the coroplast should point. Also, how far should it stick out? I think I read elsewhere the strips are cut 1/2" wide? Ultimate goal is comb honey.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 04:12:17 pm »
I don't believe direction of the holes really matters, or at least I haven't noticed.  I prefer to but then vertical only because it makes it easier.  Depending on the manufacturer of the frames, the grooves can be tight for the coroplast.  In this case, I just squash the coroplast on the bench prior to installing and vertical holes make this easier (ie. push it in an offset manner and "fold" the divisions over)

As far as length,  I would cut it as short as possible to get minimum extrusion since you plan on doing cut comb.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 04:35:27 pm »
Tounge depressors from doctors office works pretty good too.   If you have doctor friends there free!
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline GoldenGirl

• Brood
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 06:30:04 pm »
Where can you get the coroplast strips?

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 09:24:56 pm »
Sign companies that make yard signs. They will probably have some scrap hanging around.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.