Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding brood before or after treatment?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
Adding brood before or after treatment?
« on: October 28, 2019, 06:59:09 pm »
So I have a hive not looking well.
I?m about to do a sugar test.
If I decide to treat, can I add brood afterwards and how long.
Inversely, after adding brood , how soon can you treat?
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Adding brood before or after treatment?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 08:41:47 pm »
Salty, how are ya fella?!

We need to know what you plan to treat with?  I am only familiar with Oxalic Acid.  You can add brood before, or after.  I have not noticed any I?ll effects on brood of any stage with Oxalic acid vapor using 1 gram per 10 frame langstrof deep.

To spare argument, the nurse could remove eggs or young larva treated with Oxalic acid without my notice.  I have studied, detailed research papers of the chemical effects of OAV bees in detail and have little concerns for my bees when used as directed.

There are many methods of treatment of Varroa mites, Oxalic acid is one I prefer.  However you should decide for yourself which treatment or lack of treatment as described in detail by M. Bush.

Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 10:21:35 pm »
Thanks van
 I got some Apivar pads

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 11:59:12 pm »
Salty, how are ya fella?!

We need to know what you plan to treat with?  I am only familiar with Oxalic Acid.  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many methods of treatment of Varroa mites, Oxalic acid is one I prefer.  However you should decide for yourself which treatment or lack of treatment as described in detail by M. Bush.

Blessings
Van

Mr Van, I am preparing to send a PM to you concerning another type treatment different for your method or salties, and I would like hear your opinion before I post the same information here at beemaster.
Thanks, Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 10:26:43 am »
Yes, Phil, I Reviewed the video.  Post it.  The organic acids  have been successfully used for a long time.  Just pay close attention to temperatures.
Blessings

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 01:15:17 am »
So I have a hive not looking well.
I?m about to do a sugar test.
If I decide to treat, can I add brood afterwards and how long.
Inversely, after adding brood , how soon can you treat?

If you are treating with OAV, add brood AFTER.

If you are treating with Formic (MAQS) add brood BEFORE.

If you are treating with ApiVar, do whatever you want whenever you want wrt brood.

If you are treating with anything else, let us know specifically what it is so we can best advise. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

anything