Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?  (Read 59776 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2022, 12:17:38 am »
Today?   Did a round of checking feed pail levels. No truck access due to ground conditions so was walking through 6 to 8 inches of sopping snow, slush, and jumping over puddles. My boots and socks are so damp can feel the moss growing between the toes, and ankles so chilled every flex squeaks and creaks.

I am still amazed at the amount of honey and wax you and your bees produce in such a sort season as compared to we who live in warmer climates.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2022, 02:57:01 pm »
I checked on the queenright halves of my splits today and finished one of their German mite trapping treatments.  Now that they are broodless I'll hit them with OAV tomorrow morning, as long as it doesn't rain. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2022, 09:29:57 pm »
Today?   Did a round of checking feed pail levels. No truck access due to ground conditions so was walking through 6 to 8 inches of sopping snow, slush, and jumping over puddles. My boots and socks are so damp can feel the moss growing between the toes, and ankles so chilled every flex squeaks and creaks.

I am still amazed at the amount of honey and wax you and your bees produce in such a sort season as compared to we who live in warmer climates.
It has been a terrible Spring. A desolate frozen landscape that lingered until just a couple days ago.  Finally the temperatures have swung into the low teens degC, it was sure nice to finally be able to go poke down into a few of them to see what is happening in there.  Quite pleased with the stage they are at despite what mother nature has been throwing at them.
By my notebook the last date that I had opened the lid on this particular hive was September 18 2021.  Today. May 5 2022.  I would say she has done a fine job of surviving the winter without my prodding.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2022, 10:35:20 pm »

It has been a terrible Spring. A desolate frozen landscape that lingered until just a couple days ago.  Finally the temperatures have swung into the low teens degC, it was sure nice to finally be able to go poke down into a few of them to see what is happening in there.  Quite pleased with the stage they are at despite what mother nature has been throwing at them.
By my notebook the last date that I had opened the lid on this particular hive was September 18 2021.  Today. May 5 2022.  I would say she has done a fine job of surviving the winter without my prodding.

That?s not so bad for an 8 month leave of absence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2022, 09:38:06 pm »
Whoa ...

I note only from the deposits on the hive bodies that the girls stick close to the hive when out for a bathroom break. 

Because it's freezin' out there man. They're not flying far to do their business...

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2022, 01:32:54 pm »
LoL!  yeah, not many outhouse opportunities when it is a white desolate landscape for months on end. When it is warm enough for flight, it rains poop all across in the bee yard area, literally.  Everything, and I mean everything, gets splattered. No square inch is spared. It rains down, it rains sideways, it rains thisaway and it rains thataway. Often wondering - how did she possibly manage to paint that there at that angle?!  Those are the days to stay out of the yard and go do other things.  Only folks in the north or those who winter colonies indoors will truly understand that. No, the bees are not sick. Yes, it is a normal event - which as weird as it sounds, we really look forward to!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2022, 11:57:05 pm »
Had a bit of a chuckle to myself HoneyPump. You are chasing warm weather for your bees to produce and I am after cold weather for the honey flow to start. Plenty of trees flowering in my area but nectar will not be released in any quantity until the overnight temperatures drop away. There are just so many variables and twists in this adventure that we are on.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2022, 12:13:30 am »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2022, 12:42:00 am »
 :cheesy:
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2022, 04:28:18 am »
Had a bit of a chuckle to myself HoneyPump. You are chasing warm weather for your bees to produce and I am after cold weather for the honey flow to start. Plenty of trees flowering in my area but nectar will not be released in any quantity until the overnight temperatures drop away. There are just so many variables and twists in this adventure that we are on.

Whereas in most of the UK it's flow on. despite it being a fairly cool spring. Just waiting for the oil seed rape flowers  to go over before starting first serious extractions of the season. Our Hawthorne is now in full bloom, gives a lovely flavoured dark honey when the bees get on it (too rarely for my liking!).
As UK electricity prices have gone bananas I'm pondering if I can find an efficient uncapping system that doesn't involve my  3KW stream generator and Lyson steam heated uncapping knife. Will try the backwards uncapper   and see how I get on with it. Otherwise will just keep putting pound coins in the meter...

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #190 on: May 19, 2022, 12:34:58 am »
Nigel I have the the backwards uncappers plural. One regular size and one wide. I do like them; However, if you run across a frame which previously had brood in it, it is, in all honesty still a pain. Does it work? Yes...   As hoped?  Not as much so in this situation. Otherwise on pure honey comb in my experience, they are excellent!

Phillip

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #191 on: May 19, 2022, 06:34:35 am »
Thanks, will be finding out shortly....otherwise pay a ransom for electricity

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2022, 02:09:42 pm »
moved some collonies to  2 new yards . Lots of  black locust trees at the new locations.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2022, 07:08:59 pm »
I checked on all my splits today.  I did queen cell reduction in one, found a new queen in another, and found eggs but didn't actually see the queen in the third.  I also couldn't believe how much honey the hives have put on since the blackberry flow started!  We're making progress now!  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2022, 08:59:13 pm »
Nothing today, but they were all hanging out on the porch.
The shadows masked the bees so I had to play with the lighting to get the bees to show.
I?ll probably take a look tomorrow.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2022, 08:58:15 am »
A walk around and lamented that they are not flying fast and furious now as the flow is winding down for me. Another round of OAV treatment for the three recent swarm captures.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?
« Reply #196 on: June 05, 2022, 05:45:03 pm »
In the rain,  moved boxes of queenless bees around to consolidate them, and grafting.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 03:26:23 am by TheHoneyPump »

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #197 on: June 06, 2022, 02:59:34 pm »
Adding undraw foundation to be draw out a total of 500 frames. 
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2022, 05:30:12 pm »
Today I cleaned the equipment from my shakeout, as well as some from a deadout early in the year.  I've got a moldy bottom board I still have to bleach, but other than that, all the equipment is cleaned and ready to go again.   

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2022, 06:04:53 pm »
Lots of bearding lately.