ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

When Does The Maple Flow Start In Your Area?

(1/2) > >>

Ben Framed:

Do you collect maple sap for making syrup? When does the maple flow start in your area?

Phillip

Michael Bush:
I don't but the guy who built my house planted the maple trees that are here 160 years ago and he writes in his diary that it's frustrating trying to get syrup in Nebraska.  The spring is too unpredictable.  It was probably global warming... sorry, climate change...

Ben Framed:
Thanks for the humor Michale.
Yes I can understand the effects of energy used 160 years ago which might have started global warming way back then! One example; methane gas released from horse drawn buggies etc. most certainly caused a varied greenhouse effect that might have led to the uncertainty of when to collect maple sap by your homes original owner way out in Nebraska 160 years ago.
 :shocked::cheesy: :wink:

Each late Winter/Early Spring  is different and always has been. As we know the climate had always changed, and will continue to change with or without humans. lol If one does not believe it all one has to do is ask their local Groundhog on Feb 2. Even though we might get a different answer from year to year! 🤣 THE GROUNDHOG KNOWS  😂

I don?t know how folks who collect maple sap determine when the time is right to do so. Maybe the information provided by the groundhog is the answer? lol

Phillip

Michael Bush:
My son has a huge gum tree in his yard (also in Southeast Nebraska) and there is a tap in it where someone used to gather the sap ad left the tap...  I don't know if they made syrup or something else from it.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Michael Bush on January 03, 2023, 09:08:40 am ---My son has a huge gum tree in his yard (also in Southeast Nebraska) and there is a tap in it where someone used to gather the sap ad left the tap...  I don't know if they made syrup or something else from it.

--- End quote ---

Interesting, I do not know the answer but to please my curiosity I would like to know. 

Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version