BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > REQUEENING & RAISING NEW QUEENS

Mini mini foam nucs

<< < (2/5) > >>

TheHoneyPump:
The only larvae that could be harmed by shaking frames are queen cells.  Never shake cells. The rest of them go ahead and shake and knock with little2no effect, within reason of course. 

TheHoneyPump:
Done with the experiment.  After two cycles, two separate sets of cells. 
In simplest terms; these minis suck. I mean really suck.  Like SUCK A TON, bigger than big time. I am talking beyond Ever Given level of suck level.
Basis of the assessment: easily 75% of perfectly developed queens not emerged, lost, or found to have switched boxes and killed each other, combs completely honeybound within a few days (from bare foundation), overheat easily, constant loitering (unemployed) bees on the porches, require daily checks and adjustment attempts to stay remotely balanced.
NOT for me.  NOT for my genetics.  I shall leave these minis to folks who are happy with very poor2mediocre  results who think that small and cute and totally is Kool. I have a bunch for immediate sale.
As neat as and compact as they seam, save yourself from trying these.  Total gimmick and complete waste of time, resources, and money for anyone who means to be remotely successful with queen rearing.
I gave them a go for giggles.  All that I got out of them were frowns, grunts, huffs, and constant uncharacteristic spontaneous expletives.

.. ask me how I really feel about these..

Ben Framed:
HoneyPump, I am sure you have a very good system you use for mating nucs. Being you are experimenting, have you tried two frame mini mating nucs which use regular deep frames? This system makes it easy to add or subtract frames as needed and gives you much more time in between maintenance. I feel sure I am not telling you something that you probably already know. What is you thought on these if you have tried them?

TheHoneyPump:
Ben,  I may have introduced 2F nucs to this site ..

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: TheHoneyPump on July 13, 2021, 10:09:44 pm ---Ben,  I introduced 2F nucs to this site ..

--- End quote ---

Mr HoneyPump I have learned volumes from you. In fact, I sometimes file some of your great teaching, making sure I add your name, giving you credit for each thing you have taught me as part of my continuing education so in years to come I can look back and say Mr C taught me this or that. lol    I simply did not remember your introduction to 2 frames here, I did not intend to oversight you on 2 framers. My apologies. In this particular case, I learned this from a queen raiser in Georgia from watching his videos. That is when I decided to build a few for myself. I build them the first season of my first bees. My style is different from his in that I built mine with removable tops and bottoms just as a regular nuc or 10 framer I build myself. His are build with stationary bottoms, attached to the box itself., both 2 framers and 5 framers.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version