Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chilled cells?  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
Chilled cells?
« on: August 26, 2020, 07:01:20 am »
Hi guys.
Its coming into spring here in Australia and where I am (tropics) its ranging from about 14-27 C.

I recently grafted for the first time and I was fortunate to have almost all of them take, so ended up with excess.

I gave 7 to a mate of mine and I put 11 into nucs.

My friend is only 5 minutes from my place and on day 10 post grafting took his cells home directly. It was the middle of the day about 27C. He placed 2 into nucs. The others he caged and put them in a super above a strong queen right hive and excluder. He said they were in within the hour.

Mine went into nucs. The cells in the nucs hatched by day 16.

It is now day 19 and his caged queens in the super still havnt hatched. He opened one up and she was alive.

My questions:

Are they worth saving, will they be inferior?
Is this due to being cold...not enough nurse bees keeping them warm?
If they are worth saving what should he do, would putting a frame of brood either side of them help?

Thanks.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Chilled cells?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 11:12:10 am »
I am interested in the answers also Bee North.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Chilled cells?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 08:39:55 pm »
No they are not.  Squash them all and try again. 
The issue may be chill. But could just as easily and more likely been handling.  The pupae in the cells are quite fragile between day 9 (capping) and day 14/15 of final maturing.  Any disturbance in that time period can damage the umbilical to the jelly which will halt or slow development.  Symptoms are dead in cell near completion, undersized runts, deformities, etc.

On the caged cells.  Ask him if he put attendants inside the cage with the cell, and if he did then how many.  The bees tend and temperature control with their bodies.  If they cannot press their abdomens right against the cell, they have no control.  The attendant bees also help her to emerge.  They shave the wax capping off the end so she has only her cocoon silk to cut.  If no bees are in the cage with the cell, it does not maintain steady temperature to mature properly and she may not be able to emerge at all by being trapped by the wax cap.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:10:25 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 08:47:38 pm »
Hi HP

Thanks for the feedback....I just called him and no he didnt add any bees!

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Chilled cells?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 02:12:03 pm »
Ok.  Hopefully folks have more info now about how to be more successful with cells.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 04:29:12 pm »
Ok.  Hopefully folks have more info now about how to be more successful with cells.

Your information helps me for sure.Thank you Mr HoneyPump.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 07:51:35 pm »
Thanks HP.....greatly appreciated!!

I passed the information on to my friend who is also grateful for the education you provided.