BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > HONEYBEE REMOVAL

Materials for a trap out

(1/13) > >>

iddee:
The cone, with an exit hole sufficient to allow two drones to exit together...Must be 1/8 inch hardware cloth. Screen will collapse and clog up, preventing the bees from getting out. 1/4 inch will allow the bees to pass through.

a piece of plywood with a hole in it, size varying with the different jobs.

a tube of silicone caulk and caulking gun.
Screws and screwdriver
Catch box, either hive body, super, or nuc, with all frames except one.
One frame of brood and EGGS. Yes, I capitalized EGGS.
Platform to mount catch box on, preferably adjustable height.

Normal set of equipment carried for a removal.
Expect edits to this post as I remember other things I am forgetting at this time.

JP:
I seem to be finding more and more single story brick exterior homes where hives have built between the brick and blackboard, they can be a cut out nightmare, because the bees will extend comb as far as they want to left and right and because its attached to brick and mortar.

...JP

RayMarler:
Very nice post iddee!
You've made the procedure much more simple for me, if I ever have the chance to do one. :D

JP:
First stupid question, how do you make your cones and keep them from unraveling?

...JP

iddee:
I roll the cone a bit smaller than I need it to be, then push it through the hole in the plywood until it stops. It will spread a small amount when released. On the larger ones, I lace the wire in 2 or 3 spots along the cone. The smaller ones won't need it. Then I trim the wire behind the board about 3/4 to 1 inch. I clip the wire to where it will fold down against the plywood and I staple it.

Not a stupid question, once it is asked. Only the unasked ones are stupid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version