Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New pigs and pen  (Read 7640 times)

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
New pigs and pen
« on: May 06, 2019, 09:33:16 pm »
Got some new pigs and put together a new pen for them in the last week

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: New pigs and pen
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 09:35:46 pm »
here in the new house.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 10:13:23 pm »
Is that a concrete floor?
Neill

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 06:31:20 am »
Yes, then we finish in the woods for last month in electric fence under the oaks. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 10:09:00 am »
JT,
Are you using this to fatten them up for butchering or are you going to breed them?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 10:42:12 pm »
nothing like acorn fattened pork!  :smile:
Neill

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 10:58:12 pm »
JT,
Are you using this to fatten them up for butchering or are you going to breed them?
Jim Altmiller
fatten them up. A lot of coyotes in my area and don?t want the escaping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 12:00:12 am »
So what are you doing to keep the coyotes from getting them?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 07:48:59 am »
My back 5 is fenced in high field and there pen in in that. Front section had barb wire. So keeping them in the back. First go with pigs my self other then hunting the feral ones last 4 years

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 08:00:12 am »
If you are going to continue to do this, you may want to consider building an automatic feed box. My buddy feeds 6 pigs at a time with a feeder he built and an automatic water valve. The feeder is tall and narrow with a small slot at the bottom that allows a little bit of food to go into a tray on the front. I think his holds 300 pounds of feed when full. It would save you a lot of time.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 12:26:13 pm »
Been looking at making the feeder. Did a 55 gallon water they drink it in 5-6 days gonna put in some plumbing to the pen and pipe in auto water but will have to be prepared for hurricane season, first to lose power last to get it back.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 01:41:11 pm »
Same here about the power. I just finished putting power and water to the new turkey house we are building as well as Judy?s garden, shed and the old turkey pen. Rent one of those saws that are nothing but a 24? circular saw. Makes a narrow trench for easy backfill. It cuts the trench real fast.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 09:55:25 am »
Pigs still growing about 150lb now

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 09:43:44 pm »
Really nice JC. You have every right to be proud. I like your set up. Would you be interested in trading some of you sausage for some top quality honey?? HAA HAA as you need more honey.   :shocked:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 10:38:22 pm »
Really nice JC. You have every right to be proud. I like your set up. Would you be interested in trading some of you sausage for some top quality honey?? HAA HAA as you need more honey.   :shocked:
Hay I make trades all the time. Just pulled 30lb from a hive. So good for a while. Gonna hope for a nice deer  to mix with it soon.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 10:52:09 pm »
Hay I make trades all the time. Just pulled 30lb from a hive. So good for a while. Gonna hope for a nice deer  to mix with it soon.

Sounds good. Good sausage, sugar cured county fresh ham, big homemade biscuits, fresh home churned butter, good fresh just laid big brown eggs, boiled strawberries and fresh honey for the biscuits, move over Cracker Barrel!!!  Oh yes , don?t for get the grits!! 😁😁😁😁
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 08:29:15 pm »
Well the pigs are in the freezer was a long process took 3 days to process after 5 days to ice and age for them all wrapped  up with my wife?s help.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 09:27:23 pm »
Nice!  Did you do the butchering yourself?  How many lbs. of meat did you get? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 09:45:18 pm »
Thanks yes did all the butchering almost 300 lb of meat, we did 50 lb of sausage in 3 different flavors . I used to work as a meat cutter in high school learned a lot looking back it was a great job to learn the skill but at that age I thought it was torture.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 02:11:42 pm »
Very nice! I do all my own butchering. It's a lot of work, but definitely worth it - on several levels. Very nice!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

anything