Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moth crystal question  (Read 2241 times)

Offline rockink

• House Bee
Moth crystal question
« on: September 21, 2019, 08:34:10 pm »
My hive I lost early last week has been almost completely robbed out but still a few remaining honeybees and lots of bumblebees.

I'm still not able to freeze them so I have the 3 mediums stacked outside on a pair of 2x4's and a solid cover over the top. The bees are still going in and out but I thought about taking my leftover moth crystals and putting them under the boxes?

They are not sealed but I'm hoping to stop anymore moths from hanging out.

Since there are bees still around would it hurt anything?

Thanks,
Ken

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Moth crystal question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 09:13:21 pm »
My hive I lost early last week has been almost completely robbed out but still a few remaining honeybees and lots of bumblebees.

I'm still not able to freeze them so I have the 3 mediums stacked outside on a pair of 2x4's and a solid cover over the top. The bees are still going in and out but I thought about taking my leftover moth crystals and putting them under the boxes?

They are not sealed but I'm hoping to stop anymore moths from hanging out.

Since there are bees still around would it hurt anything?

Thanks,
Ken

Ken, Sams has a small box type freezer for around $150.00  The bees should have robbed all the honey out by now?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 09:26:34 pm »
It's not a lack of freezers. I promise. I have 4 of them which includes the one I borrowed from my neighbors for a honey super and other frames. I just don't have enough room and looking for other solutions to deter them. These 3 boxes are going to be trashed and most of the frames as well. I will reclaim the Rite-Cell and put in new frames this winter.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 09:59:31 pm »
I would go ahead and trash them and shake out the bees. Let them take up with other hives.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 10:10:44 pm »
Thank you. I will be able to but not for another week or so. I was looking for an interim solution.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 10:34:38 pm »
Why not now. I would just shake them out and place them in the sun to be robbed out, then put them away for the winter. Unless there is more to the story than you are telling.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 10:54:53 pm »
I told the story in my first post of this thread. They have been robbing them out for 5 days now and I'm going to be out of town and wanted to keep more moths from moving in until I can get to those frames in a week.

I have left over moth crystals and was going to put them to work and I just wanted to make sure if bees fly in and out it won't hurt them.

My post last week when I found the hive is called "Wax Moth Crisis....please help!"

Thanks,
Ken

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 10:55:23 pm »
Moth crystals will kill bees. If you do protect the frames with crystals, you will need to air them out for at least 4 days before putting them in a hive.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 11:02:09 pm »
Thank you. I have my supers protected in a nearby shed with crystals but these frames I'm referring to are just sitting out in my yard, I will just let nature take its course and deal with them when I can.

Thank you everyone,
Ken

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 03:30:54 am »
Thank you. I have my supers protected in a nearby shed with crystals but these frames I'm referring to are just sitting out in my yard, I will just let nature take its course and deal with them when I can.

Thank you everyone,
Ken

Rock, do you happen to know a fellow named Mike Baker that lives at the Lake of the Ozarks? He is quite a fisherman.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 09:42:06 am »
I'm sorry I don't. I do love to crappie fish though! :)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 11:05:55 am »
I'm sorry I don't. I do love to crappie fish though! :)

Thank you everyone,
Ken

Rock, do you happen to know a fellow named Mike Baker that lives at the Lake of the Ozarks? He is quite a fisherman.

I do not know him personally. He makes videos of his fishing adventures there at Lake of the Ozarks, and very good ones at that! I enjoy watching one of his videos for time to time. I would suggest you look him up and have some fun together. While your at it Mr Van might want to join in! Your Lake and its surrounding borders are beautiful! I spent a lot of time in Arkansas as a child, camping and boating on its many Lakes and Rivers.  Its no wonder they call Arkansas ''Arkansas The Beautiful''
 Phillip

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 09:42:47 am »
Moth crystals will kill bees. If you do protect the frames with crystals, you will need to air them out for at least 4 days before putting them in a hive.
Jim Altmiller

Jim, when you pull frames out to air out that have been protected by crystals, will the moths be able to attack them during that airing out period?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 11:31:50 am »
Jim Altmiller

Jim, when you pull frames out to air out that have been protected by crystals, will the moths be able to attack them during that airing out period?

Good question, and, will the honey have a hint of a mothball taste?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 01:16:37 pm »
I have not had any problems but I air out my frames for a week or more, until needed, with a fan on them. Moths do not like airy frames. I suspect that the eggs would dry out.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin