Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spacing frames  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Kona Bob

• New Bee
Spacing frames
« on: November 07, 2016, 06:03:42 am »
What is the correct way to space the frames inside the box in langstroth hive.

Do you push all frames together nice and tight so the timber section on the top of the frame determines the gap between the comb, leaving any excess space at each end
OR
Just try and space them evenly with small gaps all the way along between each frame

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Re: Spacing frames
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 06:40:59 am »
Keep em tight.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 01:34:35 pm »
If you leave gaps, the bees fill in those gaps with propolis and then you cannot move the frames around to remove them. They tend to get tighter and tighter. Keep them close together and you can move the outer frames then pull them out with less chance of rolling the queen.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 05:47:20 pm »
For me it depends on where I am using the frame.  If it is in the brood chamber then keep them tight together.  But in the honey super if they are previously drawn frames I take one out and space the frames evenly.  The bees draw the comb out farther then brood comb and it makes it very easy to uncap without getting places that miss.  Do not do it with foundation or foundationless.  You will have one heck of a mess.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 05:51:15 pm »
>What is the correct way to space the frames inside the box in langstroth hive.

Tight in the middle.  Better yet, shave 1/16" off each side of each end bar, put 11 in and push them together in the middle.  You can't get them close enough without shaving them, so you can't get them too close pushing them together.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#framespacing
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 07:39:49 am »
In the land down under 90% of beekeepers will only put 9 frames in a 10 frame langstroth super. For reasons as given by Acebird. When spacing I tend to leave a little extra on the outside and then evenly space the remainder.

Re the brood box some will use 10 while others will use 9 and space as per the super.

I do not believe that you should at anytime shave any off the frames.

anything