Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buying queens  (Read 5319 times)

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
Buying queens
« on: August 10, 2016, 01:48:01 pm »
Where do people recommend buying queens from? I have very quiet and producive hives but they are not very clean and don't handle the shb well. Any recommendations? Thank you :)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
Re: Buying queens
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 07:16:26 pm »
mash up a really rotten banana and spread it around the top of the brood frames - they will clean up the hive real quick. 
David L

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 01:20:51 am »
Wombat what does that do mate? I've heard of banana for chalkbrood but not for SHBs.. I thought that would actually attract more SHBs?

Ask your local beekeeping club and supply stores for a recommendation on local queens - I'm in the wrong state so probaly can't help you!

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 03:26:45 am »
 Sydneyguy, I would be inclined to google queen breeders Sydney region and see what you get from that.
You know what you want in the queen ie hygienic and copes well with SHB.
Try this as a starting point http://www.aussieapiaristsonline.net/queen-bees-for-sale.html

Mick

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 04:17:42 am »
Wombat what does that do mate? I've heard of banana for chalkbrood but not for SHBs.. I thought that would actually attract more SHBs?

Ask your local beekeeping club and supply stores for a recommendation on local queens - I'm in the wrong state so probaly can't help you!

I was told it is equivalent to walking through your carpeted lounge with dog poo on your shoes. You will spring clean the place from top to bottom to get rid of every trace of the smell - the bees do the same.
David L

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 07:51:31 pm »
Where do people on here get their Queens from
That they would recommend? I'm thinking of trying Mulder's this year anyone bought queens off them before?

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 01:12:58 pm »
Hey wombat have you used the banana trick personally before?

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 01:18:41 pm »
Hey SlickMick, I actually googled it and did go on aussie apiarists online. I used a supplier from there last year and wasn't happy with them. Just wanted to know if anyone had been buying off someone for a long time and was really happy with them.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 06:17:06 pm »
Love your work wombat. Eating breakfast laughing to myself.

Offline Kona Bob

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 04:35:31 pm »
Hey SlickMick, I actually googled it and did go on aussie apiarists online. I used a supplier from there last year and wasn't happy with them. Just wanted to know if anyone had been buying off someone for a long time and was really happy with them.

Have you tried Hawkesbury Apiaries. I spoke to him yesterday. found him on google and hes quite close to me. but I haven't bought anything off him yet

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 10:15:37 pm »
Hi Kona bob,

No I haven't tried Hawkesbury Apiaries. I was hoping to get some feedback from others on here before I chose.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 10:29:18 pm »
Australian Queen Bee Line - Carniolan x Italian

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 06:44:33 am »
Thats actually where I got the queen I want to replace. Thanks Ozbuzz

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 10:53:27 pm »
Ah ok, interesting your experience with the hygiene and SHB handling capacity - I generally find mine to be incredibly good at hygiene and I've only ever had an SHB issue in a weakened colony from a swarm. Do you give them a hand by cleaning the baseboard off? also, how many SHB do you find in your colony?

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 12:05:05 am »
I started 3 hives around the same time 2 from packages and 1 from a split which is the one I put the queen in. Both the packages went really well, they drawed all there frames out fast and bee numbers grew fast. The split just doesn't work as hard as the other 2. They took 2 months to draw out 4 frames and had more shb than the other 2. The queen never has as much brood or eggs as the other 2 either.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 12:54:31 am »
Did you receive your queen early this year? I had a batch of queens that I found didn't seem to be mated as well as others that I've received previously - I've had over 100 queens from them and generally quality is marvellous! one shipment I had though was not great.

Offline Drtmonster

• Brood
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 07:54:21 pm »
We rescued a hive last year that almost slimed.

I bought some of these http://beetlebaffle.com/ and fitted them over the winter.  So far we haven't seen any SHB (may one or two) in the hives with this device fitted.  the traps are mostly empty too.  The principal is the beetle can't walk over the lip in the Aluminium strip and won't fly in the hive.

Speaking to the manufacturer/inventer (he will talk for hours if you let him) the idea is to create an unpleasant environment for the SHB as they are stuck on the bottom board with the light and soon leave to find a better hive to live in.

R

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 03:47:58 am »
Did you receive your queen early this year? I had a batch of queens that I found didn't seem to be mated as well as others that I've received previously - I've had over 100 queens from them and generally quality is marvellous! one shipment I had though was not great.
I got them November last year.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 03:49:41 am »
We rescued a hive last year that almost slimed.

I bought some of these http://beetlebaffle.com/ and fitted them over the winter.  So far we haven't seen any SHB (may one or two) in the hives with this device fitted.  the traps are mostly empty too.  The principal is the beetle can't walk over the lip in the Aluminium strip and won't fly in the hive.

Speaking to the manufacturer/inventer (he will talk for hours if you let him) the idea is to create an unpleasant environment for the SHB as they are stuck on the bottom board with the light and soon leave to find a better hive to live in.

R
Interesting never seen anything like it. I use the apithor trap if the bees struggle to cope with them.