Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 9795 times)

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 12:22:50 am »
Prayers, best wishes and good luck to all our FLA beekeeping friends, along with their families and neighbors!

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 12:31:56 am »
Just became cat.5. Hoping best for all in Florida. It moved more to west. Hoping it's a tropical storm by the time it hits me here in middle ga.. could not get out to tie down the hives. Had to get more fuel for the gens and protect them for when we loose power. 100% of that here at my home. Recalling on lines for sure. Power company's and public works been out cutting down any tree near lines weather on private property or not.Hoping flash flood waters does not cut us off creek drains the whole pedimont wildlife refuge lands in middle Ga.

John

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2017, 12:37:33 am »
Not that it matters so much John, I heard that cat5 call a few hours ago.
The report was trashed aa media hype - you got any real time links
to updates? Thanks.

Bill

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2017, 06:05:28 am »
Upraded to cat5 and forecast to move further west, aside from
immediate (local) tidal surge it matters little whether Irma comes
over water or over mainland as she is huge in area so everyone will
share, throughout Florida.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso1-13-24-0-100

...good lucks, all

Bill

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2017, 10:53:49 am »
Not that it matters so much John, I heard that cat5 call a few hours ago.
The report was trashed aa media hype - you got any real time links
to updates? Thanks.

Bill

I use www.nhc.noaa.gov  . they are the hunters flying thru it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:04:01 am by divemaster1963 »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 11:08:12 am »
it matters little whether Irma comes

The longer is stays over water the more water it picks up.  That is why huge matters.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 06:19:56 pm »

The longer is stays over water the more water it picks up.  That is why huge matters.
Nppe. Water equals heat source which produces strength/barometric values - the
quantative measure for travel and  wind speeds. Many a dry low has bought destructive
winds from over the oceans.
Brush up on your meterological (sp?) core knowledge, young fella ;->

An' John... thanks for that link mate, down at the moment (for us) I'll stay on it :-)

Bill

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 07:39:53 pm »
I been keeping up with it the best I can with the news on tv. Could get real bad for our neighbors in Florida. Prayers from up here in Georgia. Also I heard it's hard to find a hotel or place to stay for people leaving Florida. My wife works for 911 as a dispatcher and there sending any available units down there and helping with evacuation, children first. Been doing it for days. I had a fella call me today that owns a disaster management company wanting me to line up some crews to go to work. He said "I need an army down there as soon as the wind stops blowing." I think it's about to get pretty bad. We've had extremely busy gas stations up here where I'm at, well north of Atlanta. Traffic as well. People are having to travel well past the hurricanes reach just to find a place to stay..
Take a kid fishing !

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 12:28:52 am »

Nppe. Water equals heat source which produces strength/barometric values - the
quantative measure for travel and  wind speeds. Many a dry low has bought destructive
winds from over the oceans.
Brush up on your meterological (sp?) core knowledge, young fella ;

Bill

From NOAA:
As long as the base of this weather system remains over warm water and its top is not sheared apart by high-altitude winds, it will strengthen and grow. More and more heat and water will be pumped into the air. The pressure at its core will drop further and further, sucking in wind at ever increasing speeds. Over several hours to days, the storm will intensify, finally reaching hurricane status when the winds that swirl around it reach sustained speeds of 74 miles per hour or more.

You ain't wrong but you ain't totally right either like you think you are... Well time for your cute coy remark...  I say, maybe you need to "Brush up on your meterological (sp?) core knowledge", OLD MAN... And I don't mean old man disrespectfully.... :shocked:  :wink:
John 3:16

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 02:06:08 am »
I been keeping up with it the best I can with the news on tv. Could get real bad for our neighbors in Florida. Prayers from up here in Georgia. Also I heard it's hard to find a hotel or place to stay for people leaving Florida. My wife works for 911 as a dispatcher and there sending any available units down there and helping with evacuation, children first. Been doing it for days. I had a fella call me today that owns a disaster management company wanting me to line up some crews to go to work. He said "I need an army down there as soon as the wind stops blowing." I think it's about to get pretty bad. We've had extremely busy gas stations up here where I'm at, well north of Atlanta. Traffic as well. People are having to travel well past the hurricanes reach just to find a place to stay..

[nodding]

That "panhandle" land mass is probably one of the best "example of kind" in terms of
how cyclonic winds on land can destroy pretty much everything, given time.
That then highlights the other social problem of how the heck one gets folk out in time.
Irma makes landfall and travels along it as forecast..?... many many people are going to
be hurt, physically, and later, financially. Others are going to make a packet in the
12months thereafter.

Bill

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 02:15:16 am »
"You ain't wrong but you ain't totally right either like you think you are"

Yup, no I aint wrong nor did I hold the young pup's hand in doing his googlin' for him - mine came straight
from core knowledge, no manual/bible/dictionary required. Some however just cannot help themselves in
dot pointing advice in a  "low pressure systems for dummies" type delivery, hey?
tip: Study your lifted quote so you do know what it means and not what you think it means. Then review
your claim quoted above... heh : grins:

FWIW;
When you want a lesson in latent/sensible heat and enthalpy - the factors behind "the pressure at it's core
will drop further" - jes' holler, after some reading on your own, as advised above ..........................................
nonbigly noncutely : slowclaps:

Bill

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 05:11:33 am »
"You ain't wrong but you ain't totally right either like you think you are"

Yup, no I aint wrong nor did I hold the young pup's hand in doing his googlin' for him - mine came straight
from core knowledge, no manual/bible/dictionary required. Some however just cannot help themselves in
dot pointing advice in a  "low pressure systems for dummies" type delivery, hey?
tip: Study your lifted quote so you do know what it means and not what you think it means. Then review
your claim quoted above... heh : grins:

FWIW;
When you want a lesson in latent/sensible heat and enthalpy - the factors behind "the pressure at it's core
will drop further" - jes' holler, after some reading on your own, as advised above ..........................................
nonbigly noncutely : slowclaps:

Bill

Yep you didn't disappoint... more dodging, mumbling and chest thumping... Speaking of "low pressure systems for dummies" What is all this about : grins: : slowclaps: I would have thought you would have figured it out by now.... you need me too come down and hold your hand and explain how it's done heh  :wink:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 06:47:34 am »
Well it is starting all ready. Barometric pressure is starting to drop, we have already had 2" of rain according to my rain gauge.
Thanks for all the good words.
Right now it looks like it is going to stay at a cat 3 until it hits land and should be cat 1 or less when it goes by here. I sure hope so.
John,
How close is it supposed to get to you, not sure if it matters much. This thing is so big, it is a monster.

I was supposed to have my daughters family and a friend of my sons and his brother but they all decided to stay in Jacksonville.
Yesterday on FaceTime I walked my daughter through buying all the parts she needed to make a power cord to connect her generator to the dryer outlet so that she can keep power to the whole house.
Then we spent an hour wiring the generator connector and connecting the cable and the dryer cable together. I was able to watch and check everything she did and she did a great job. I would never have done it without FaceTime allowing me to see and check every step.
Luckily I had loaned my neighbor one of my generators the day before and I had to do the same thing to use his dryer outlet.

The rain has stopped for now or it is light enough that I cannot hear it. By the time the next bands come through my pond will probably start to over flow. It flows into my front yard. When we built this house I had an 8" pipe installed with 3 drain boxes in the front yard. During the last heavy rains we had I found out that she water does not flow down the pipe because the pipe is in the creek and is under water fighting the creek flow. The pipe is 500' long.
Yesterday I cut a 8" notch on the down stream side of the pipe. I am hoping this create a little suction on the pipe and allows the water to flow. Only time will tell.

For everyone else in the wake of this monster, hang on. Hope we will all be safe.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 07:03:58 am »
"you need me too[sic] come down and hold your hand and explain how it's done heh "

Try as you do to takeover the topic yer gettin' done like a dinner, and that
with my lead arm tied behind my back!
Florida is about to cop it, so I am staying on topic. You want something
else then you have ample opportunity in those "coffee house" threads, if
your up to backing your (2%) corner of the room, like... heh.

(author <sc-bee> dodge on education opportunity, noted)
Not my problem I know my stuff... I earnt it, not leeched it from the
InnerNetz : grins: +  : slowclaps:

Bill

--
[author <sc-bee> to sinBin]

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 07:05:18 am »
Yep....
She's coming in Jim, turning... hang in there and mind how you go.
https://www.earthcam.com/events/extremeweather/

You got a link to that FaceTime site...?.... I'd like to check some detail, thanks.

... lucks to all.

Bill

--
(edit taipoe)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2017, 07:16:03 am »
Yep....
She's coming in Jim, turning... hang in there and mind how you go.
https://www.earthcam.com/events/extremeweather/

You got a link to that Faceline site...?.... I'd like to check some detail, thanks.

... lucks to all.
Bill

Bill,
It is built into the iPhone/iPad. When you look at a contact, there is a phone handset symbol and a video camera symbol. Click on the camera. You will see a video of your self on the screen and when they answer it will switch to the person who answers. You will then get a small picture of yourself in the top left corner. Use it to keep your camera aimed at your fact. It is what the other person is seeing. You also can use it to show the other person something.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2017, 08:53:18 am »
yea Jim. its probly going to come just to the west. dang it the worst is on the east side. it may slide further west. depends if it stays out in the water. I have wifes relatives in holiday just outside tampa on the coast. they got stuck there and could not get out. also have grandkids up just east of talahassee. they just moved there two months ago. ten miles from shore. moved to a highrise hotel yesterday. hoping it stays the course. would rather it come inland to to drop the speed of the winds. I'm getting more gas and loading the gens on the truck to keep them out of the water. gas is getting short up here.but we have a good nieghborhood here. 10 familes that have been here for 10 years or more and we look put for each other.  just hunkering down to see what happens. I'v been out on FMLA for the wife but they may still call me in if needed so have nieghboor ready to take the wife if needed.

john

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2017, 09:54:39 am »
Bill,
It is built into the iPhone/iPad....
(edit)

Ahhh, okay, silly me I should have g00gl'd it. Didn't even cross my mind FaceTime was an app, sorry.

Probably paranoia, I got the tingles reading this;
" buying all the parts she needed to make a power cord to connect her generator to the dryer outlet so
that she can keep power to the whole house".
As terminology is often at variance I was going to check this "power cord" was not what I am familiar
with knowing (sadly) as "deadmans lead" here.
Knowing your're a handy fella of conscience and care my question was more to inform myself on how
you guys went about temporary connected power hookups. Here many a linesman has been killed doing
after storm repairs to street aerials, the fault being backfed generator feeds from a home in the street.
Just tell me none of the methods described on this page have been used and I will be able to sleep
tonight, thanks.

https://hubpages.com/living/How-to-plug-my-generator-into-my-dryer-outlet-and-become-a-fatality

Cheerio...an' lucks

Bill

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2017, 10:31:37 am »
when you tye to the house through the dryer you have to trip the main in the beaker box. this cut any outside power to and from the pole (mainline). then just cut the breakers to the parts of the home not used and to just under the running watts of the generator. taking in to count starting loads. then after they get the power backup. just have to watch when either the street lights come on or a nieghbor runs something. then all yiu do is shut down gen then disconnect it and turn the main back on. common sense but for the nuts that don't disconeect from the mains. thats why its fround apon and someplaces illegal to do. the best way is to have a additonal main breaker  on the meter base with a lockout on it. 

john

( i have a double throw at the main where the generator gets hooked up at. the plug only supplies power from the generator when you throw the switch which also disconnwcts the main at the same time.)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2017, 03:00:46 pm »
"you need me too[sic] come down and hold your hand and explain how it's done heh "

Try as you do to takeover the topic yer gettin' done like a dinner, and that
with my lead arm tied behind my back!
Florida is about to cop it, so I am staying on topic. You want something
else then you have ample opportunity in those "coffee house" threads, if
your up to backing your (2%) corner of the room, like... heh.

(author <sc-bee> dodge on education opportunity, noted)
Not my problem I know my stuff... I earnt it, not leeched it from the
InnerNetz : grins: +  : slowclaps:

Bill

--
[author <sc-bee> to sinBin]

I agree more important things to talk about... and no I am not taking over a topic.... look back you threw out the smart butt comment to acebird and now you point your finger at others... But yes I have no time for your antics... I just hoped by pointing your antics/comments/jabs out to you.... you would stop the BS ... Just look back at the majority of your post. Most all have a underhanded JAB somewhere. ...Enough of lowering my standards of membership...bickering with you... and ranting AT THIS TIME...

To the important thing on the thread,the storm, yes I should be ashamed of my bickering with you on this topic thread. I have been here on Beemaster for YEARS and you regulars know it is not my nature. So my apologies to members, especially those in the path of the storm, and the moderators.

I hope you guys in the path of IRMA are safe and sound and weather well and damage if any is minimal. Looks like we here in SC got lucky this time...schools are closed to open up shelters. God Bless you guys in the path and prayers sent as Irma approaches.

anything