Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Jersey Mall Is Adding Bees 🐝 On Their Roof.  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
New Jersey Mall Is Adding Bees 🐝 On Their Roof.
« on: July 10, 2021, 03:04:36 am »
A NEW JERSEY MALL IS ADDING HONEYBEES TO THEIR ROOF

Bill Doyle
Published: July 9, 2021

Tanger Outlets, in the heart of Atlantic City?s retail district, is trying to help save New Jersey?s decimated bee population by installing hives on the roof of the mall.
The honey bee, which is New Jersey?s official state bug, has seen a dramatic reduction in numbers and New Jersey has been particularly hard hit, and that?s cause for concern.
According to an article on NorthJersey.com in 2017, bees pollinate over $200 million worth of crops in the state, including cranberries, blueberries, and cucumbers. Beekeeping is itself a $7 million industry in the state.

The bees have been stricken with a mysterious colony collapse disorder that has seen the loss of up to 50 percent of their population annually, and it?s going on nationwide. That has resulted in a concerted effort to help grow their numbers.
At the Tanger Outlets, they have installed a colony of 50,000 bees on the roof and will be holding educational workshops for the public. You can also follow the colony on social media to see its progress.
According to the Press of Atlantic City, Tanger joins the Ocean Medical Center is establishing bee colonies to help save them.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 09:19:52 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: New Jersey Mall Is Adding Bees 🐝 On Their Roof.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 07:48:23 am »
"Turnkey" installation of a hive with all "certifications, accreditations, and insurances".
The company the article refers to, which is providing the bees, seems to be marketing, I think, to young, affluent, urban customers. Interesting.

Note:  Thanks Bob, I am modifying this post in removing the company name which you referred to as marketing.
Phillip
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 09:19:12 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 08:53:40 am »
"Turnkey" installation of a hive with all "certifications, accreditations, and insurances".
The company the article refers to, which is providing the bees, seems to be marketing, I think, to young, affluent, urban customers. Interesting.

" The company the article refers to, which is providing the bees, seems to be marketing, I think, to young, affluent, urban customers. Interesting."

Maybe so Bob. I don't think the news article was meant to advertise or help market the folks who sponsored the bees. Though they were briefly mentioned in the article. I found this article on google search news. I will modify the news article and post a small part of it. The point of the post was interesting to me that a mall would actually have bees placed on their roof, a mall which has a very heavy human traffic volume. The timing on this article is interesting since we read here recently on another topic, of one company which was seeking to destroy bees at their location. I am wondering how the public will react and if there may be negative or positive repercussions. The workshops will (hopefully) help draw more positive interest to the honey bee. All thoughts are welcome..

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 12:59:14 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 10:18:23 pm »
Pardon me, Phillip. I wasn't objecting to any kind of supposed advertising.
I was just commenting on the kind of target audience to which such a website, alveole.buzz, might appeal. A bit different from the beekeepers I have come to know.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 10:55:50 pm »
Pardon me, Phillip. I wasn't objecting to any kind of supposed advertising.
I was just commenting on the kind of target audience to which such a website, alveole.buzz, might appeal. A bit different from the beekeepers I have come to know.

No pardon necessary Bob. Perhaps it is me which should ask you to pardon me. 🙂I agreed with what you said as being a possibility, "maybe so", meaning the sponsor company which donated the bees may be using the situation as a marketing strategy.  I came to this conclusion after reading your post and having a closer look at the news report. Your valued comment is again acknowledged and appreciated as are you. 

The article was focused on honey bees being placed on the roof of the Mall, as the mall is a place of high human traffic, along with other interesting bee facts, though the sponsor company was briefly mentioned. I hope the intent of this interesting subject topic has not been lost.   

.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 12:36:44 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 11:35:37 pm »
After doing a little more research I have found more news on this in different regions reporting of bees being placed on Mall Roofs, even a UK report about this. There are other Malls in other cities doing this as well. Houston, Fort Worth, and San Marcos, Texas, , Deer Park, N.Y. and National Harbor in Washington, D.C.  And of course Atlantic City N.J. as already reported. Good for the bees? Good for the beekeeper? Positive, or, Negative repercussions to follow? Both? Time will tell.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 12:46:56 am by Ben Framed »

anything