Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hunting and killing Colonies of Asian hornets.  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Hunting and killing Colonies of Asian hornets.
« on: December 20, 2023, 11:42:00 pm »
  Some people may be interested.. How asian hornet hunters. Find and kill Colonies of asian Hornets. The beekeepers in the Philippines do the exact same thing.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Scebile5ZmY?si=CEXsJt83UBcXt3Q1

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Hunting and killing Colonies of Asian hornets.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 11:58:54 pm »
Interestingly Awesome!  I enjoyed the short video Jim134! Thanks!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 09:17:53 am »
I had a nest of them in the side of my house this year. This was a first for me and I was not happy with their presence so I killed the nest but I have heard a lot of people say to just let them bee. I'm pretty territorial that way, if it might harm me or my stuff, I'm inclined to eliminate it. I have seen a couple of videos where they tag the hornet with a piece of TP or something and chase it down and I wonder if it's as easy as they make it look or if it actually takes a lot more time and effort and they just edit all that out.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 10:05:56 am »

I had a nest of them in the side of my house this year. This was a first for me and I was not happy with their presence so I killed the nest but I have heard a lot of people say to just let them bee. I'm pretty territorial that way, if it might harm me or my stuff, I'm inclined to eliminate it. I have seen a couple of videos where they tag the hornet with a piece of TP or something and chase it down and I wonder if it's as easy as they make it look or if it actually takes a lot more time and effort and they just edit all that out.

Terri I wasn't aware that Asian Hornets had made their way to Pennsylvania. Maybe you are referring to another species of hornet?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 10:33:40 am »

Terri I wasn't aware that Asian Hornets had made their way to Pennsylvania. Maybe you are referring to another species of hornet?

Phillip
Hmmm...You might be right. Is there a European hornet that's similar?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 10:40:00 am »
"Terri Yaki"
Hmmm...You might be right. Is there a European hornet that's similar?

I think the European Hornet is similar. I am thinking Reagan or Mr Van posted about these two some time ago with pictures..

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7

Offline Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023, 10:54:29 am »
To me, they all look the same but now I see the differences. Mine were European. We also have plenty of bald faced hornets around here and they are as aggressive as it gets. They hit between the eyes and on the temples for no good reason.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 11:49:28 am »
I've got some more pictures here, just for future reference.
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=56791.msg520873#msg520873

I hardly saw any Euro hornets this year.  I will often see them hanging around the beehives in the fall when food is becoming scarce.  They don't "hawk" like the Asian hornets do, so I don't particularly care if they snag a honey bee or two.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2023, 04:00:24 am »
   As far as I know the only asian hornets .. Ever to be caught and killed in the United States was near washington and canada.. There was another confirm report this year in Georgia.. I never heard what happened to the one in Georgia. It seemed like everybody thinks.. European are the giant asian hornets this is not even close.

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything