Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wireless routers for wireless cards and phones  (Read 4278 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Wireless routers for wireless cards and phones
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:23:08 pm »
I just bought this router from best buy and so far I like it. http://www.cradlepoint.com/mbr1000/mbr1000.php
I plan on setting it up at my campground for the guests to use and check email. No High speed internet is available not even dsl, so I think I may have found a temporay solution for wi-fi.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:14:07 pm by pdmattox »

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
    • Wikipedia Photo Gallery
Re: Wireless routers for wireless cards and phones
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:38:19 pm »
That's pretty slick. I'm kind of wondering though... is there anything in the settings that will allow you to throttle the bandwidth of individual users? Seems like if one guy got on there and started downloading a DVD off of Usenet or something, he'd choke the whole LAN and grind everybody to a halt.
"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:43:13 pm »
I'm not techy enough but I know someone in south Florida that probably talks router and could help me find out. That would be good info to have for some wireless cards do have a limit even when billed as unlimited usage. I was also thinking i could use this as some remote off site surveillance with a wireless in-fared camera.  Think how it could be camouflaged in a unused bee hive watching over the other hives in a yard(almond pollination).

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
    • Wikipedia Photo Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 02:22:24 pm »
When it comes to imposing a bandwidth allotment per-user... like most things when it comes to computers, either it will be easy or it will be impossible. 8-)

If you can plug directly into the router and access the control panel (enter home IP and then log in as the administrator, usually) there might be an option for limiting per-user bandwidth. With some routers it allows you to express the limit as a percentage, which is handy because the fewer users you have, the more bandwidth each one gets. Others only allow you to set the limit in kbps, and you'll just need to experiment a little to find out how much your users need to access the web and e-mail reasonably fast, without allowing big honkin' downloads.

The webcam idea is a good one, too. I don't know if you've spent much time looking at them, but I've been doing some research on the subject because I'd kind of like to install one with my weather station. There are models available now that have their own internal software, so you just plug them into your router and they make the photos available online without you having to fart around with all that auto-FTP nonsense. They're a little more expensive, but probably worth the extra money in terms of headaches saved.
"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Acecare

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 02:46:46 am »
I have the Omnia i910 from Verizon Wireless. I recently downloaded wifi application from the Marketplace but it doesn't work. Could someone help me out here?