Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New member from Ohio  (Read 3126 times)

Offline pegasusblack

• New Bee
    • none
New member from Ohio
« on: June 07, 2021, 01:40:48 am »
Hi there. I'm a new member from Ohio.  Just got my bees 3 days ago.

I currently have a Warre hive set on 4 acres of rather populated clover and grass.  The areas surrounding me consist of thousands of acres of farmland and a few relatively distanced residential homes.  I have tons of trees,  bushes, and flowers around my property as well.  The hive is about 30 feet from a ditch that usually has a foot or more of water in it.  I hope they like it here and stick around a while.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
Re: New member from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 10:47:53 am »
Welcome!
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 11:15:35 am »
welcome  :happy:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 12:14:27 pm »
Welcome, Pegasus!  :happy:  Not many of us here have Warres, but I think they are very interesting, and we'll certainly try to help you out or answer any and all questions you may have. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 12:17:45 pm »
Yes welcome to beekeeping and welcome to beemaster!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 01:09:58 pm »
That's a beautiful hive! Welcome to beemaster. ... and congratulations on figuring out how to post a picture here - not always easy for new members  :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 04:57:01 pm »
That's a beautiful hive! Welcome to beemaster. ... and congratulations on figuring out how to post a picture here - not always easy for new members  :cool:
Actually, Alan, when you first join you have to request moderators post a picture for you, as an anti-spam measure, so that trial is still to come.  :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 05:21:38 pm »
Actually, Alan, when you first join you have to request moderators post a picture for you, as an anti-spam measure, so that trial is still to come.  :cheesy:

Hahahaha! I'd forgotten that one 15th! Thanks for reminding me. I was very impressed! grin: :grin: :grin:

Anyways Pegasus, I'm still impressed with your Warren Hive. (Grin). Beemaster is a great place. Welcome.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 10:01:32 pm »
Greetings from Georgia. I also will be interested to see how your warre hive goes. Glad to have you here.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 10:20:23 pm »

Hahahaha! I'd forgotten that one 15th! Thanks for reminding me. I was very impressed! grin: :grin: :grin:

Anyways Pegasus, I'm still impressed with your Warren Hive. (Grin). Beemaster is a great place. Welcome.

Alan is doing better than me! I use to post pictures but I apparently did something wrong and have got the resize setting off. I can no longer do it lol. I have talked to our good friend The15Member asking for advice. Even she could not help me... Not her fault but my lack of savy with computers... :oops: embarrassing but true, I am confessing one of my weakness! Computers!!! lol  :shocked: :cheesy:
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 11:51:35 pm »
Pegasus,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline pegasusblack

• New Bee
    • none
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 12:12:43 pm »
Hopefully this helps- but this is how I generally post photos in forums.  A lot of the rules are strict as far as image sizes and formats go-so I throw whatever I need to an Imgur and link to the album.

You get full-size photos and the forum page loads much faster for everyone.  Also, the forum hosting doesn't have to foot the resource requirements to store them all.

https://imgur.com/upload

Its easy-no need for a log-in, either.

Upload to an album (drag and drop).
Click "Share" to get the link.
Dump link in post.
See photo.

If that's against the forum rules, please reconsider.

I also use a free program call IrfanView.
https://www.irfanview.com/

Resizing to hit file size constraints is easy
You can open a picture, choose "Save As", adjust the constraints in the popup and save.
Voila.

Offline pegasusblack

• New Bee
    • none
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 12:25:53 pm »

Thanks!   My father-in-law made it for me!  He gave me two hives in total!  Its very nice quality and very natural.   I can't wait to grow my apiary.     

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 12:27:52 pm »
Thanks pegausblack for your input concerning posting photos. I have been a moderator here for only a short time. I am still in the learning process. If this against the rules, one of the other moderators or administrators will let us know. Thank you for posting this. Again Welcome to beemaster..  I hope you are enjoying, and will continue to enjoy this forum..

Sincerely,

Phillip

Offline pegasusblack

• New Bee
    • none
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 12:55:48 pm »
My father-in-law says that in all the years keeping tons and tons of hives for his huge blueberry farm, he found the Warre top-bar to be easiest and most natural for the bees.

I definitely understand the benefits of either configuration. That said, I highly respect his input and started with his recommendation.

I plan to make a few Langstroth hives and even try a horizontal hive when the price of wood stops being crazy-and make my own decision. There are definitely a lot more accommodating and standardized solutions for the Langstroth hives available and that's a huge sway so far.