Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frozen Brood Turned Black  (Read 1022 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Frozen Brood Turned Black
« on: May 14, 2022, 07:29:05 pm »
I froze two frames of brood from a German trapping treatment a few days ago, and usually I'll take it out of the freezer the next day, thaw it just enough to uncap it to check for mites, and then feed it to the chickens.  Yesterday I took the brood out of the freezer and forgot about it until this afternoon, so it was fully thawed.  A lot of the pupae had turned black.  Is that normal?  Is it okay for me to feed it to the chickens?  I tossed this batch because I wasn't sure, but I'm just curious to know for the future.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Frozen Brood Turned Black
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 08:09:53 pm »
If the chickens will eat it, it won?t hurt them.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 10:13:05 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Frozen Brood Turned Black
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 02:19:29 pm »
If the chickens will eat it, it won?t hurt them.
Good to know, I'll give it to them next time.  Thanks.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.