Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spring Nucleus Colonies In Your Area  (Read 2839 times)

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
Re: Spring Nucleus Colonies In Your Area
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2022, 10:16:56 pm »
My area:
$175.00 to $200.00 nuc
$265.00                  OW nuc

Honestly, I can't see the point in spending the extra money for an overwintered nuc.  The queen is old and ready to swarm or be superseded.  I get overwintering nucs for your own apiary. 
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2022, 10:18:13 pm »
150 - 185 in my area. @ tractor supply 200 do 3 lbs

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2022, 09:05:06 am »
   I know in New England.... If you can get...  A local Queen  Is with workers ..Over wintered in a 5 frame nuc.... You will get $350 to $400

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:23:13 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2022, 12:09:41 pm »
I want to thank each of you; The15thMember, Pittwater Pete, Jim 134, Bob Wilson, TheHoneyPump, Bee North, Rast, Oldbeavo, Brian MCquilkin, Cao, Lesgold, Beesnweeds, and jtcmedic. Members from all over America, Australia,
The Philippines, and Western Canada. Y'all are a part of a fine group of beekeepers and beekeeping friends here at Beemaster! Thank you all 'so much' for taking the time to respond. Your responses gives one a pretty good idea what the market is on a broad spectrum.

Sincerely,

Phillip

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 12:27:11 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2022, 12:33:03 am »
Beesnweeds...
It was something HoneyPump once wrote that got me thinking.
That a second year (overwintered) queen has several advantages. She is proven in that she has laid many generations and shown she is fertile, and she has proven overwintering, and is primed to make a strong spring start as opposed to a new, unproven queen just getting on her feet.
A second year queen has all the advantages and is still young enough to lay well through the year.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2022, 01:11:55 am »
Bob I will confess that when I started this topic "Spring Nucleus Colonies In Your Area" what I meant was, How much will nucs be going for in your area this Spring? I feel like a real "dummy" not being fluent in my choice of words. 
:oops: 

Oh Well.. It is still a good topic thanks to y'alls responses. Now I have an idea of what each are going for, both overwintered and spring nucs. 

Thanks all,

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2022, 07:26:34 am »
       If you want spring time nuc's.. For next year 2023.. I suggest you start the 1st week in July 2022... If you're in a northern part of the USA...  If you have a good Queen. She will explode.. With brood It will be her 2nd year... I personally over Winter... These particular colonies... In  5 frame Boxes.Deep.. 2 boxes hi..  I use the exact same setup as Michael Palmer does in Vermont..USA
You can find all this stuff on YouTube...  I believe he calls it sustainable beekeeping

...             BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2022, 07:23:13 pm »
Present wholesale value of a package of bees
Plus
Present retail cost of new frames
Plus
Present wholesale value of 10-12 lbs of honey
Plus
Present retail value of 3 lbs of pollen or sub
Plus
Present cost of the nuc box
Plus
1 hour of labour at present rate
Plus retail cost of treatments
Plus target business margin (20-60% pending your model)

A nucleus colony product is superior to a package in every way, to the buyer/receiver.  A nucleus colony product has the added equipment and labour, which have costs, and the price should always reflect that value.  Folks selling nucs at price comparable to packages either;  do not know what they are doing (willy-nilly), are looking for a spot to sink business losses, or are have excess/unwanted equipment to get rid of.

Do your own math on your operation. Know what your bottom line number is.  That is how you should price your stuff.

Around here (Cdn$, FOB truck tailgate) 2021
- packages 220-260
- nucs 295-330
- will be 6 to 9 % higher for 2022 due to inflation causing escalating equipment costs. 

Hope that helps.
I used your older post on this  and always look for your insight.

anything