Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Almost Caught Up On Wood For The Next 5 Years  (Read 985 times)

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Almost Caught Up On Wood For The Next 5 Years
« on: April 07, 2024, 07:56:46 pm »
Ya cant say no to free wood when they are cutting a new power line in close by. I would not go after sweet gum, but if a few are mixed in and the man is going to bring it to you, I can burn it.

The bulk of it is pine, poplar and gum. Pine is one of my favorites for the mild climate Im in, and with dry wood and a modern stove, it is just fine for firewood. Really, all this is shoulder season wood, but heck. NC is just about all shoulder season except for a couple weeks in January or early February. When the oak coals pile up, a stick or two of pine will devour the coal pile back to a useable amount of space.

I still have to split quite a bit, but I?ve been working on it for a couple weeks. Today I finished the saw work. I had been working through cutting and splitting, but I decided to knock out the saw work before the heat kicks in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Almost Caught Up On Wood For The Next 5 Years
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 11:04:15 pm »
Good to see that wood being used. 
One of my pet peeves is when someone cuts down a live tree and just piles it up and either does nothing with it or burns it. 

Last spring my neighbor across the street had the trees along the ditch logged.  The logging company dragged all the logs to one spot near the road then cut them to length.  All of the short pieces they just shoved into a pile.  I spent half the summer putting chains around them and dragging them across the street to my yard and cutting and splitting them.

Your pile is probably about less than half of the logs I cut.  Mine was a lot of cherry and ash, with pecan oak maple hackberry and poplar.  I figure I now have enough firewood for about eight years.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 11:13:02 pm »
Good to see that wood being used. 
One of my pet peeves is when someone cuts down a live tree and just piles it up and either does nothing with it or burns it. 

Last spring my neighbor across the street had the trees along the ditch logged.  The logging company dragged all the logs to one spot near the road then cut them to length.  All of the short pieces they just shoved into a pile.  I spent half the summer putting chains around them and dragging them across the street to my yard and cutting and splitting them.

Your pile is probably about less than half of the logs I cut.  Mine was a lot of cherry and ash, with pecan oak maple hackberry and poplar.  I figure I now have enough firewood for about eight years.
I was thrilled to get them. I usually am an opportunist when a storm rolls through. I can usually knock on a few doors and get what I need easy pickings without having to work too hard. Even better when they bring it to you. That sweet gum is nasty to split though.

They do a lot of clearing for houses around here as the population expands. Most of the time they pile up good logs and light them off.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 12:25:30 am »
cao,
What kind of stove are you feeding?
I?m kicking around the idea of a Blaze King Ashford 20.
I had an Englander for years, and now a Vermont Castings Aspen C3. I don?t need to change, but, I?m thinking the BK will serve my needs better. Still researching that though.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 11:30:21 pm »
I burn most of it in a fireplace in my living room.  I do have an old junky wood stove in the basement that I used to use but I have gotten lazy about going up and down the stairs all the time.  I have looked into different wood stoves and furnaces in the past, but I just haven't gotten around to getting one.  I probably ought to now that I have all this wood.