BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > COLONY COLLAPSE DISORDER - TALKS & REPORTS

Interesting

(1/1)

Dallasbeek:
It's interesting to me that when people learn I'm s beekeeper the first thing they ask is about Colony Collapse Disorder, but the last time anything was posted in this section devoted to CCD was more than a year ago.  Is this a subject of greater import to the media and the casual observer than to thos of us who keep bees?

cao:
The first thing they ask me is usually "do I get stung?"

--- Quote from: Dallasbeek on September 25, 2016, 04:22:00 pm ---  Is this a subject of greater import to the media and the casual observer than to thos of us who keep bees?

--- End quote ---
Yes it's what makes headlines.

In my opinion the day to day trials and tribulation of beekeeping takes precedent.  Spring build up, raising queens/making splits, when to add supers/harvest honey, when/if to feed for winter, whether to treat(for those that treat), insulation/ventilation for winter are all issues that are more important to me than CCD.  If you are unlucky enough to have it happen to you bees, it is a big deal but it is still a one time deal not a year long problem. 

jimineycricket:
If 50% of my two children miss school on a given day it is no big deal. If 50% of all the children at a school miss on a given day it is a big deal.

If 50% of my two bee hives die I am the only one that cares.  If 50% of the commercial beeks hives die it is a big deal and it is the news papers and every one cares.

It all depends on what side of the fence you are on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version