BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Mid to Late Winter emergency feeding

<< < (3/4) > >>

Acebird:
Wouldn't it make more sense to leave them 20 extra pounds of honey especially if they are going to dump 1/2 the 20 pounds of sugar out the door?

Vance G:
I get over a hundred dollars for twenty pounds of honey.  I pay less than ten dollars for twenty pounds of sugar.  I am not a mathematician but my labor is useless except to me but it seems to work out and I don't lose any colonies to starvation which really bothers me since I am fond of bees.

tycrnp:
So in NW Florida, where they fly probably 350 days out of the year, I have left them plenty of honey, do I need to feed pollen over the winter?  Also, what are your thoughts on winter grease patties?

iddee:
Pollen is for raising brood. Adult bees use very little, if any, pollen for themselves. In Florida, there should be more than enough pollen for them unless you plan to split heavily, like make 5 or more nucs from each 10 frame hive.

Dimas:

--- Quote from: Vance G on January 21, 2019, 01:38:20 pm ---I get over a hundred dollars for twenty pounds of honey.  I pay less than ten dollars for twenty pounds of sugar.  I am not a mathematician but my labor is useless except to me but it seems to work out and I don't lose any colonies to starvation which really bothers me since I am fond of bees.

--- End quote ---
Our honey costs in bulk 50 cents per foot. Sugar 50 cents for 2 pounds

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version