Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Has AFB Ever Been A Problem For You?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Has AFB Ever Been A Problem For You?
« on: January 20, 2022, 10:48:04 pm »
On the topic: "Polystyrene Hives" the subject of AFB, (American Foul Brood), and burning hives along with Gamma Sterilization has been brought up. Have any of you ever experienced problems with AFB in the past? If so, what did you do about it? How did things turn out for you and your bees?

Thanks,

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Has AFB Ever Been A Problem For You?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 09:38:19 am »
Here in Florida, due to yearly inspections, we only get 1% of the hives inspected with AFB. This is pretty amazing considering that a large percentage on the commercial hives spend time, usually during the winter, here in Florida. Most get inspected shortly after arriving. .
The only case that I know of here in Florida was my buddies daughter bought 3 hives from a commercial beekeeper who was probably treating his hives on a consistent basis. Three years later, our Inspecter burned all three hives.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 04:49:36 pm »
The Department of Primary Industries inspect a % of hive at almonds each year. It is very efficient as alot of hives are assembled in a relatively small area.
We honey test annually for AFB and do brood inspections in spring when splitting hives.
So far no sign of AFB and i hope it never turns up.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 05:00:05 pm »
A guy I know well had AFB in his apiary a few years ago. He is a migratory beekeeper and picked up the disease in a few of his hives. Took a lot of work to get rid of it. Infected hives were irradiated, all gear thoroughly cleaned and sterilised a few times. He is now very careful as to how he manages his hives. The big boys will be bringing lots of hives into my area in the coming winter. That?s the time where this issue could show up.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 08:23:52 pm »
Hi Les
I am not so worried about the so called "big boys" because they will be regular testers. To go to almonds you need a negative AFB test.
Two cases of AFB that i know of have come from backyard sources. Most amateur bee keepers don't test as the cost is about $45 per test.
Also would they know the symptoms if they did have it.
We carry microscope slides in the ute to quickly check anything that is suspicious.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 08:47:16 pm »
Good to know that there are sound procedures in place. It would be a sinking feeling to find out that you have it in your apiary.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 09:34:45 pm »
We had it pretty bad in the late 70's and early 80's.

Best thing is to burn it all, the sooner the better.
The drugs will only mask the symptoms for so long, and then things start to run a muck.

I can remember when I was 16 and going to buy out a sideliner that was retiring, he had 30 hives and all were infected with AFB. Was a sad way to retire. After seeing this I did not buy any equipment he had.
Have not seen it too close to home in several years.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!