Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaning metal queen excluders  (Read 3746 times)

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Cleaning metal queen excluders
« on: January 13, 2022, 06:07:29 pm »
Hi Folks

Just in cleanup mode now after finishing extracting honey from the latest flow. I?ve got a few queen excluders that look a bit like this

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Cleaning metal queen excluders
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 06:13:47 pm »
I?ve tried using scrapers but I end up getting old to quickly doing it that way. I know you can drop them on an open fire briefly but over time that can upset the galvanising. This is how I do it.

Just cover it in water and let it heat up. A couple of minutes later the water boils, the excluder is hooked out and dropped onto the ground. Any remaining wax is jarred off. A few can be done at the same time and the process can be repeated time and time again. This is the result

I am sure there are better ways of doing this and I would love to hear about them. Jobs like this are just time consuming tasks that have to be done from time to time.

Cheers

Les

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Cleaning metal queen excluders
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 08:59:47 pm »
We just use a flat wide scraper, both sides.  We do not bother trying to clear the grate.  Especially not with a tool as it only takes a minimal bend to change the spacing and allow problems later.   When they need the space, The bees chew and remove the wax that is left. Figuring, if they can put it there, they can also remove it.
That said, the boiling water bath is the proper way to do it if one wanted an as new excluder.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 11:44:19 pm »
 A friend of mine puts his excluders in a solar wax melter and they come out clean.  I use a heat gun sometimes.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 06:38:30 pm »
Hi beesnweeds,

I have tried the heat gun before and it does a reasonable job. The solar wax melter would be a good solution as you can walk away and leave it. This would cut the workload down.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 05:53:58 am »
Hi Les
Don't bother with any more than a quick scrape, the bees will open up or add more wax as they wish.
HP is on the money, hot water bath if you want to or have the spare time.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 12:44:29 pm »
Don't really clean them much at all if I do it is just the flat part on the outside of the edge.  If I find one that is really bad I might run a flat 4" flat scraper down both sides. I never clean in between the wires.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 03:40:11 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Apart from using queen excluders for producing a bit of comb honey, I have never used them in the past. This is the first year where I have placed them on all of my hives.

Offline KolinFous

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 12:11:33 pm »
My acquaintance said you don't have to clean it. I certainly didn't expect to hear that answer. But I see that some people also say that you don't have to clean it. But just for its fun, I decided to try to hire the guys from the emop cleaning company. I had a garden to clean, and I asked them to clean the divider. It turned out that they did not do that, but one guy did it himself, and he could clean it for me. xD
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 12:18:17 pm by KolinFous »

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 10:04:44 pm »
         As many of you know.. About the last 3 or 4 years... That I was in the USA.. I did work on a dairy farm... When I got assigned to washing farm equipment... I also washed bee equipment at the end .. Of washing farm equipment... A Queen  Excluder .like the 0ne that you have in the picture... Would take less than a minute.. To have a clean with a hot water pressure washer.That the farm own..

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 04:50:00 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 08:16:17 am »
Pressure washer, wall paper remover, or dress form steamer.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bobby Smith

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 03:04:04 pm »
A friend of mine puts his excluders in a solar wax melter and they come out clean.  I use a heat gun sometimes.
Hi there!
I have been doing the same thing as your friend  for the last maybe 2 years :happy: No complaints so far!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 05:02:26 pm »
Bobby Smith, welcome to Beemaster!!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bobby Smith

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 05:12:30 pm »
Thank you! It is a pleasure to be here!  :wink:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2022, 04:39:01 am »
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin