Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I'm back!  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
I'm back!
« on: April 17, 2022, 03:47:14 pm »
Hey all. You probably remember me from a few years back under the username "Xerox". After a year break from beekeeping while I was moving to CA I'm back in business! I got a package of Italians and installed them Wednesday. I have a quick question about my plan of management this year. I was planning on doing a single deep brood box with a queen excluder and stacking supers on top as needed then once October rolls around taking off all the extra supers and leaving them with one full one to overwinter with. Not quite used to the CA climate yet and I'd like to learn more about single brood box management. Thank you!
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: I'm back!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 04:34:11 pm »
Donovan,
Welcome back.
I recommend that you use at least 2 brood boxes. If the queen runs out of room to lay her eggs,
The hive will swarm every time this occurs.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 06:10:39 pm »
Donovan,
Welcome back.
I recommend that you use at least 2 brood boxes. If the queen runs out of room to lay her eggs,
The hive will swarm every time this occurs.
Jim Altmiller

Sounds good. I was going back and forth about it and thought that singles would be better for me during the summer so I don't have much to inspect during 90-100 days but it's not all about me! Thank you. So I've got another idea to build them into two boxes and super on top and if they aren't using both boxes come fall I could condense them into one box and leave a super full of honey for the winter and repeat? And if they are using both leave them with the two boxes and take all supers off and leave them with the stores in the boxes?

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 06:35:00 pm »
As aways, it depends on your winters there. Warm winters tend to mean the bees stay more active and they eat more. However, going into the winter with a double brood box of 20 frames should take you straight to spring, I would think. Mine do fine here in central Georgia with 12-15 packed deep frames.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 06:52:16 pm »
Welcome back, Xerox/Donovan J!  :happy:  I can't answer your questions about beekeeping in California, but it's always nice to see old members return.  :smile:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 07:59:01 pm »
As aways, it depends on your winters there. Warm winters tend to mean the bees stay more active and they eat more. However, going into the winter with a double brood box of 20 frames should take you straight to spring, I would think. Mine do fine here in central Georgia with 12-15 packed deep frames.

Yeah this winter was very weird. We had torrential record rain in October then a dry November then lots more rain in December then warm and dry January through March. We got two nice little snow storms but the temps were never super cold. I'll definitely need to adjust my strategy and plan for more food

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 09:31:45 am »
Hey all. You probably remember me from a few years back under the username "Xerox". After a year break from beekeeping while I was moving to CA I'm back in business! I got a package of Italians and installed them Wednesday. I have a quick question about my plan of management this year. I was planning on doing a single deep brood box with a queen excluder and stacking supers on top as needed then once October rolls around taking off all the extra supers and leaving them with one full one to overwinter with. Not quite used to the CA climate yet and I'd like to learn more about single brood box management. Thank you!

I believe the best thing you can do to find a local beekeeping.. To get you up to speed about the weather of the area... Where you now live.

BEE HAPPY   Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
I'm back!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 10:15:59 am »
+1
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 09:24:42 am »
+2 welcome  back.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2022, 12:54:22 am »