Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Which Queen to use  (Read 5150 times)

Offline mat1

• New Bee
    • bee master.com
Which Queen to use
« on: August 20, 2020, 10:44:57 am »
This is my first spring and therefore first time splitting.  So I have 1 Queen did well last summer but is taking her time to warm up after winter. Then I have another Queen had a rough time last summer ( probs my fault) but she is going exceptionally well now laying wall to wall.... So my question to all the more knowledgeable which queen should I try rearing from ( will use zig zag foundation technique). Thanks for your opinions.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Which Queen to use
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 01:52:55 pm »
First question , what is the age of each of the queens as of right now today.  Not in years, in months.  And not how long you have had her, months age from the month that she was reared and mated.
In absence of such detail, pick the one who does well but seems slow to warm up. Imho.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline mat1

• New Bee
    • bee master.com
Re: Which Queen to use
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 02:07:08 pm »
Yes well I bought nucs last november both Queens marked green and well established when I got them. So I don't  know exactly how old or when mated. Thanks for your reply.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 09:19:53 am »
I don't know your location but build up can also be a function of how the hive was left in the fall and what resources it has to expand.  I would go with the one that takes off not knowing anything else.  Keep in mind that picking the best queen and not giving her resources would be a shame.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline mat1

• New Bee
    • bee master.com
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 10:40:56 am »
Yes they were both pretty even going in maybe leaning a little in favour of the good queen but the boomer is not slowing which is great.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 11:15:38 am »
First question , what is the age of each of the queens as of right now today.  Not in years, in months.  And not how long you have had her, months age from the month that she was reared and mated.
In absence of such detail, pick the one who does well but seems slow to warm up. Imho.

Mr HoneyPump, why the slow to warm up queen?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 12:51:25 pm »

Mr HoneyPump, why the slow to warm up queen?

Personal preference, and experience. I prefer the ones that pace themselves, in-tune to their environment and ramp accordingly. Over the timeline of an entire season, they will be more stable and will outperform those early boomers, every time.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.