Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ant & SHB control?  (Read 3857 times)

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Ant & SHB control?
« on: July 19, 2006, 05:04:19 pm »
I had a friend make this suggestion. Mix boric acid (roach poison) with grape jelly and put it into small peices of corrigated plastic (like what those political signs are made of). He places them in his hive, the ants go in and get the jelly but the bees cannot go into the small holes of the corrigated plastic.

Does anyone else use this method and if so, will SHBs eat and die along with the ants?
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Ant & SHB control?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:39:48 pm »
It's usually unsafe or illegal to put unauthorised substances into hives as a pesticed controll. Just a Word to the Wise.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Ant & SHB control?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 01:50:46 am »
If they do get into the jelly you'll have contaminated honey and dead bees.  And Apis is right beware is the bee inspector finds unapproved treatments in your hives that have the possibility of contamination.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Ant & SHB control?
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 10:32:01 am »
That makes sense. I guess I will veto this idea as I have with so many others....  sigh.....
talkhunting.com

Offline Bubba

• New Bee
Ant & SHB control?
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 01:14:37 pm »
Hi-Tech

Are the ant's climbing up your hive stand? I have my hive placed on 2 8" block's I kept spraying permethrin to kill the ant's but then every little shower we get the poision was gone. So I read about putting some axile greese around what you put your hive on. Well when we bought our house while cleaning around I found a 5 gallon bucket filled with red grease. Anyhow I put a 2 inch ring around both block's and that seem's to have fixed the ant problem for now. Now I will admitt that it is a bit unsightly but it help's.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Ant & SHB control?
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 11:08:52 pm »
>Does anyone else use this method and if so, will SHBs eat and die along with the ants?

I've used boric acid and jelly on ants.  Not in the hive.  Put it on the ant hill if you can find it or on the inner cover if you can keep the bees out of it (#8 hardware cloth on the inner cover hole should do).

I've never had SHB so I don't know anything about that.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Ant & SHB control?
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 12:07:17 am »
While I do have a small ant problem from time to time, my main battle is small hive beetles. I am building a new beeyard so I will hold off doing anything until that area is done and the hives are moved... Thanks all for the advice.....
talkhunting.com

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Ant & SHB control?
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 12:47:03 am »
I use FGMO and smear it around the bottom boards and this has worked great keeping the ants out.  I'm reapplying either tomorrow or the day after.  I did a partial swipe with my finger today and they were getting thin, so I'll reapply.  We had our first rain in a long time last night, too heavy, and some was washed off.  It lasts for quite a while and stands up to medium or less rain.  The bees stay away from the FGMO and the ants don't get in from the outside.  With a SBB the bees keep them out from coming in.  I've watched the guard bees bite the devil out of 'em.   :D

As far as how long I'll need to go back to my notes and see if I wrote it down.  I had better have.

With SHB I learned how to bait them in.  Leave your protein patties on too long and they love you for it and start to trash a newly installed package.   :evil:   As I write this I wonder if you can't set up a bait trap like the yellow jacket/wax moth traps?  :?:

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)