Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do what to do  (Read 1588 times)

Offline cubcadet

• New Bee
What to do what to do
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:30:37 pm »
Hello,  Newbie in second year here.   Lost all three I started last year,  but the five I started this year seem to be much stronger,  Fingers crossed.

Recent events have me lost in beespace.   My fifth hive swarmed and I retrieved it ok.  Put it in a new hive.   Last Sat. the same number five hive swarmed again and I retrieved it also.  Put feed on both hives.   Also caught a swarm which appeared back of our property,  put it in new hive also.  Now here is the situation.
Mid August.    Checked the new hives (from swarms)  All three are taking the feed.  All three are building comb.   All three are collecting pollen and storing.
I see no eggs, larvae or capped brood in any of the three.    I located the queen in one of them.  The other two I have not.  Being new I could have missed her.
I put in a frame of brood, one in each, from my strong hives.  Don't know if this was the thing to do or not.  Still feeding syrup.
Time wise.   one was put in on 7/21,  two was put in on 7/31 and three was put in 8/5.
What should be done if anything, and when.    HELP

By the way I live in Juniata County, Pennsylvania

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: What to do what to do
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 03:52:02 pm »
I guess nothing is immpossible but I would think the one you seen the queen in will be fine.  I started from capped cells and it took almost 30 days for me to see signs of queens.  I would say with a swarm it could be two weeks and if you put eggs and open brood you would see them starting cells if they needed some. I am really too new to really advise you but some advice was given to me when I was worrying and thinking it was time to see signs of a queen.  That advice was to look at the comb.  If the bees have little areas with the cells cleaned and empty and are filling the comb around this area, it means the feel they have a queen and are getting stuff ready for her to lay.  I had two after swarms that I caught from one of my hives and I just took it for granted that it was going to work out and it did.  I did look at the splits I made though. 

Except for feed (sometimes) I don't really get in the swarms I hive for a couple of weeks.  So if you have to look, look for areas the bees are getting ready for the queen or at the brood you put in to see if they started cells.

I hope this helps more then hurts.
gww

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 04:24:02 pm »
I put in a frame of brood, one in each, from my strong hives.  Don't know if this was the thing to do or not. 
I've learned that adding a frame of brood(if you have it to spare) will cure most problems you run across.  It certainly doesn't hurt. 

The other thing that I learned is to be patient.  An extra week can do wonders when working with bees. 

If the swarms had virgin queens it could be several weeks until queens are laying.  That is provided she makes it back from mating.  The added brood should answer that(if they make queen cells).

A swarm with a new queen will only raise enough brood that they can feed.  Until they have the nectar and pollen stores, they are limited.

What should be done if anything, and when.    HELP

I think you have done it.  I would check the brood that you put in there next week for queen cells. 

Remember, when inspecting you hive, you are taking a snapshot. After several snapshots you just begin to get a good idea of what is going on.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 07:04:47 pm »
Cao is right on both accounts, wait but if you ad a frame of brood make sure there are eggs on it, so if queenless they can make another one.
Adding brood will only strengthen new hives if not needed to make a queen.
The second swarm from the hive was probably the new queen going out for an orientation flight and the bees were so tuned to swarming they went with her.
If that did happen then you need to check the original hive that they are now not queenless, as you caught their new queen in the swarm. They also may need some eggs as well.
Hope this makes sense.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 09:29:49 am »
Put feed on both hives.  ... All three are collecting pollen and storing.

Are they storing the syrup?  Make sure the stronger hives are not taking it away.  I would prefer to rob the stronger hives of honey and not feed syrup if that is a possibility.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 12:39:18 am »
Your hive swarmed and you recaptured it and fed it? If swarming they probably don't need additional feed and you could be encouraging them to swarm.. unless I'm missing something

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 08:43:25 am »
I always feed a swarm for a few weeks.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 08:58:26 am »
People feed swarms at this time in our area because the flows are weak.  As with all feeding you have to make sure the bees don't cram the hive with nectar and shut down the queen.  Critical mass is important for winter survival.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 09:13:06 pm »
Apologies, sorry. Bees swarm here when there is a heavy flow on.
Forgive my ignorance but why would bees swarm if there isn't a flow? What's the trigger for the swarming?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 08:52:15 am »
Over crowding is probably the main reason.  Stupidity might be another reason but in nature stupidity gets culled out.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything