Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to give more space in long hives?  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
When to give more space in long hives?
« on: July 02, 2019, 05:27:02 pm »
The standard time to add another super on a regular langstroth hive is when it is 70-80% full. On a long langstroth do I add a few frames at a time? Right now, the hive has gotten larger and it is getting hot with lots of bearding. Do I add frames commensurate with the size of the hive? (5 frames full with 2 empty----20 frames full with 8 empty), or do I just keep 3 empty frames always at the end?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: When to give more space in long hives?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 11:56:03 pm »
I need to check on my long hives soon.  I usually try to keep 3 or 4 empty frames regardless of size.  With a long hive it is easy to get an overall picture of what's going on with the hive by just taking the top off.  It's all out in the open, no heavy lifting. :cheesy:  If all the frames are full you can add them anywhere you need them (entrance, broodnest, or honey section).  I will usually add an empty in or near the broodnest to prevent swarming.  If there is a good flow on add frame(s) to honey section.  As long as you are doing regular inspections(every couple of weeks at least) then they only need a few empty frames to keep them busy.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: When to give more space in long hives?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 08:09:11 am »
Excellent. Thanks Cao. I was hoping you would answer. 3-4 empty frames when the hive was small seemed plenty. Now that it is bigger, it doesn't seem so much. With all the chat about swarming, I wasn't sure.

anything