Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mesh Size-Screened Bottom Boards  (Read 10007 times)

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
Mesh Size-Screened Bottom Boards
« on: June 08, 2004, 09:05:08 pm »
Hi All,
  I built a couple of the beesource.com bottom boards today, in hopes to learn more/combat the mighty varroa! My predicament is, the plan calls for 1/8" hardware cloth.  This isn't very common around these parts but have plenty of 1/4" in the basement.  It looks to me like 1/4" would be fine to use (small enough) but Im really new to all this, and dont quite understand beespace, so Im looking for opinions, advice, and options!! :lol: Thanks, Jeremy

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 09:41:50 pm »
1/4" will allow the bees to pass thru it.  I have not tried it, but would venture a guess that the majority will still use the main entrance.  I would go ahead and give it a try,  you have nothing to loose.  Worse case,  you have to replace it.

I would put the filler board in place when you first install them.  This way the bees will get use to the screen, but will have to use the main entrance.  This might reduce their desire once yuo remove the filler board.
Just speculating.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 09:48:19 pm »
they will use the bottom board for an entrance and go out every which way.  makes things inconvenient when working the hive.  double up on the 1/4" and offset it to make 1/8" openings if you can.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 10:40:40 pm »
I'm making screened bottom boards today too. :) Pretty proud of the way they're coming out. I followed no plans on this, since my hives are hand made, and slightly off size. But the whole thing is a double hive stand with screened bottom boards. I'll show off and give pics when done.

Beth :)

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 05:46:10 am »
Thanks for the replies and good advice.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 10:07:08 am »
I found that when looking for 1/8 hardwear cloth in my area no one had it but when I asked about ordering some just about every place carries it but keep it in a back room or in the basement storage area since it isn't called for often it don't take up shelf space on the selling floor.
Ask for it and they might just have it in stock after all.
 :D Al

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 10:53:08 am »
Thanks for that Al,
  Maybe I'll check around a bit more.  Our local hardware store could order it, but only 24"x100' for $75!!  I'd have to go into business at that price!!

Offline Lupus

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 12:32:08 am »
Two local large beekeeping operations here in Georgia just went to 1/4 inch mesh and they seem to like it.

I just bought two bottoms with the 1/8. I plan to test it against the 1/4, which I keep on hand for chickens anyway.

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 01:42:21 pm »
I installed one of two, on the bottom boards last week.  I used a scrap sheet of galv. steel for the mite catch.  I coated it with crisco...maybe too thick....I was getting about 6 bees a day hung up on the tray.  Im not really sure what a mite looks like, other than magnified pictures.  I dont believe I saw any, but cant be sure until my wife gets a free magnifying glass from her grandmothers surplus collection.  I was just reading to only use the board for counts, where before, I thought to leave it in all the time!  So I just took the catch board out yesterday.  Do the mites just fall through and die before they can get back up to the bees, or should I just not use as much grease, and leave the catch board in???  Thanks, Jeremy

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 02:38:35 pm »
Jeremy,

Either in or out will work for removing mites.  But with it out, you get the added ventilation.

When it is out, the mites just fall to the ground and the ants get them (One good thing about ants in the apiary).  

I do find that when you leave it in, it gives a space for wax moths to lay eggs in a space that the bees can't access to clear them out.  The wax/pollen that falls through the mesh makes it quite the nice place for wax moths.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything