MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > THE 2ND AMENDMENT

So, SHTF are you ready to bug-out or hunker down?

(1/12) > >>

beemaster:
I thought about this last night and thought I'd post it. I could do a poll as well.

I'm wondering if you are ready for a natural disaster or civil disturbance? Do you have a bug out bag ready, or do you have at least 7 days supplies on the ready?

Hurricane Sandy kept us without power for 8 days and I was keep what food didn't rot in the fridge - I got a super-sized cooler from a friend and filled milk jugs to free as ice.

I know I wasn't prepare for Sandy, I would gotten a C+ maybe, but I'm not a dooms day prepper. Sandy caused great damage here beside disseminating all the homes on our Atlantic Coast. If Sandy were even 5 miles further inland it would have been devastating - in NJ, you have 40 thousand homes that would have taken the wind damage but still loss of homes. Sandy was the triple crown of storms: Sandy swelled the ocean and slammed it against our shore.

Now on topic a little, what weapons would you have ready to either protect your home or to bug-out?

I have read so many forums and watched so much great gun stuff and the majority of preppers want a .22 rifle with a scope and their points on why are all valid - I it a good small game hunting weapon and serve it's purpose with fairly cheap ammo in great abundance - when you can find it.

Now a Henry 22 rifle (made in New Jersey in case you didn't know, has a capacity of around 22 .22lr and 28 .22 shorts - is a highly suggested weapon for protecting your home - very effective because of the barrel length and speed of the bullets through a rifle. Ironically, you can not buy that rifle in NJ - it exceeds our 15 round limit.

So if you had 2 handguns, and two long-arms what guns do you depend on to save your life?

Remember, I don't have a lot of weapons, so my answer is:

SKS - semi-auto 10 round attached magazine fed by stripper clips - it shoots 7.62x39 (AK ammo) I can get off 80 rounds a minute with the SKS.

My only real choice for a second rifle is a Mosin Nagant M44 - 5 rounds, bolt action, fixed round fixed magazine , fed by stripper clips. the 7.62x54R cartridge it uses would make an elephant crap his diaper when it goes off. Someone might think you are shooting 50 cals at them with that sound.

I'd take the SKS for lead gun. Not to leave out these are both bayoneted.

Simple right now:

Main gun - Glock 19 gen4 and a bunch of magazines and fair count in ammo.
Ruger .22 sp-101 revolver - 8 rounds of .22 in a cylinder and 30 pound box of .22 ammo - Not an ideal weapon, but a very accurate one within  30 yards.

So, I and my wife end up with a rifle and handgun each. We have very little selection - many of you have a huge collection and I really am curious how you decide on a particular weapon.

Michael Bush:
If I were headed to the mountains to survive, I'd take a single shot .22 LR rifle and a few thousand rounds.  A scope would be nice but I'd want it to have iron sights as well in case of failure.  The ammo doesn't weigh much and every round can put some food in the pot.  If being able to carry the ammo wasn't an issue, I'd take a 6.5x55 swedish mauser with a good scope (and iron sights) and a few thousand rounds.  Every round could put an elk in the pot... from half a mile...

beesNme:
For around my house it would be  my  22  for range and small game, then i would say shotgun. For just point and shoot. Just the sound of the pump action makes you pay attention. We have our own little farm here so meat,eggs and what not we would be ok. If we got over run well it would be take to the woods . With bare min.

Eric Bosworth:
Ok... I don't consider myself a prepper. But that said I look at things a little differently than most. Rather than keeping stockpiles of food I would rather grow my own or shoot wild game. Where I live I don't think that masses of looters trying to feed themselves are going to be an issue. So in that regard I don't think I will need the gun to defend my food supply. I do think that it is a good idea to have a gun to get the food supply. With that in mind I would say that I have my ruger 10/22 for squirrels if I need it but for most small game I think a shotgun is a better approach. I have a young GSP and he is becoming a really good bird dog. For deer it depends what my approach is. If I am going to be in the woods then I would use a 12 gauge with slugs but in the open a 30/06 is my weapon of choice. Several years ago rifles were illegal to hunt deer where I live. So I have a rifled shotgun that with open sites I shot a deer at 130 yards. A couple years ago I made the the same shot with the rifle and it took off and I couldn't find it. It hadn't snowed and I just couldn't see it with the brown on brown. It was about 10' away in the woods. The shotgun dropped it where it hit.

GSF:
I think FEMA has stated that everyone should have at least 3 weeks of food supply. DHS has said people who stockpile food are considered "persons of interest".

It is most certainly a good idea to have something put up. In my area we will most likely be confronted by hoards of people. 33 miles n of Montgomery, 70 miles s of Birmingham.

The first 90 days will be the most deadliest as far as people killing each other for food. I think everyone should have at least enough food to get them through a year. Then there's the medical issues you will be confronted with, i.e. flu, infections, normal meds, ect.
If you plan to grow your own then make sure you have enough fertilizer, seeds, and poison for a couple of years - incase of crop failure. It takes a lot of thinking to be prepared for something like this. It would be a great population control measure - if you cater to the population control crowd.

As far as ammo, the only time you don't need more ammo is if you're swimming or on fire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version