Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splits  (Read 9003 times)

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Splits
« on: February 14, 2019, 04:37:49 pm »
Well my girls decided they wanted me to make some splits. Made 2 from one and culled a queen I didn?t like and put a capped cell in it. And my wife found she had a hole in her veil :shocked:

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
Re: Splits
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 07:56:42 pm »
I?m going to start splitting tomorrow. I hope I?m in time!

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 08:20:47 pm »
My one hive was 2 weeks early with drones. Was lucky caught 4 capped queens cells. My other 10 hives had capped drones and 2-3 cups. Made a nice split and then culled  out a week queen and will see what happens. Was only gonna split in late summer but guess the girls had their own plans.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 08:37:46 pm »
I?m going to start splitting tomorrow. I hope I?m in time!
You are not too late. The day before yesterday I went through 10 of my hives and did Altmiller Splits. Only one hive had 3 queen cells and they were only 6 days from being laid. Most of them were 3 boxes strong and I split them into 3 units. They are still stacked together but have double screens between the boxes. The bottom box has the queen and she gets a drawn super to keep her from swarming during the next 30 days. We were lucky and found most of the queens half of them were marked, we marked the others.
The first picture shows 4 hives after they were split, the first one only had 2 boxes. The others were split into 3 units.

In. the next picture only the hive on the right has been split. We just stopped to get pictures.

I also have a video explaining the process. I will try to post it. Last year this method was very successful.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 02:01:37 am »
what`s an altmeier split?

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 02:16:09 am »
what`s an altmeier split?

X2 - I looked it up and couldn't find a good explanation. ...
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 09:45:30 am »
Here is a video that Judy and I made while we were doing the splits. It was pretty windy which makes it hard to hear at times.
We will be taking the hives apart during Beefest and make individual hives fro the ones that are successful. Then we will split the bottom to 2 boxes again with the Altmiller Split.

https://youtu.be/sLq7r1zgZl4

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNQJtYkKUmbk8Zyg-npAVBG5CfNePf5-P5evEXceaJDj-uYWWL_YgDPGKq-IcS44Q?key=ZlVKMXBFZW5YdDYxNG5oS2QyT19ndW5EeElZS0x3

Click on the hive when it shows up.
Jim
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:28:33 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 07:22:08 pm »
Going good. Halfway done with the in town bees. Farm bees are always behind. Took the splits up to the lake. Man those bees there are going strong. Willows blooming good.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 07:51:03 pm »
Haven't seen any drones flying out of my hives yet and am waiting till then before splitting. Seems a little early according to my log book but I'll check my hives this weekend and look for drone cells. I'm planning to start splitting the first week of March.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 07:52:50 pm »
Going good. Halfway done with the in town bees. Farm bees are always behind. Took the splits up to the lake. Man those bees there are going strong. Willows blooming good.
well that?s good how many splits?

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 07:53:48 pm »
Haven't seen any drones flying out of my hives yet and am waiting till then before splitting. Seems a little early according to my log book but I'll check my hives this weekend and look for drone cells. I'm planning to start splitting the first week of March.
I had drones 2 weeks ago on the west coast

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 05:33:04 pm »
Did 10 between Friday and today. Got them in the nuc yard with 5 others. Buyer coming next weekend to pick them up. Have 10 more to do in the south part of the county in a couple weeks.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 06:34:47 pm »
Did 10 between Friday and today. Got them in the nuc yard with 5 others. Buyer coming next weekend to pick them up. Have 10 more to do in the south part of the county in a couple weeks.
I brought mine to mine but still have robbing may have to move them tonight

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 07:13:53 pm »
Jim,
So moving up through double Q excluder .
A frame of brood or 2 ,  You let nurse bee's move up?  And they make a Q , with protection from below?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 09:10:07 pm »
Jim,
A frame of brood or 2 ,  You let nurse bee's move up?  And they make a Q , with protection from below?
Jim,
No. Using a double screen wit 1/2? between screens over the bottom brood box with a drawn comb super for 30 days of growth. This keeps any bee contact between brood boxes. The nex brood box only needs a single screen with some kind of entrance for the middle brood box. The top brood box has a screen top entrance.
The idea is that all of the hives smell queen right but there are no contact queen right pheromones being passed to the top brood boxes. This causes the top brood boxes to make queen cells.
Jim

Ben Franklin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 09:23:19 am »
Jim,
So the screens are not Q-excluders ? They are made with #8 hardware screen ?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 09:35:49 am »
I am using window screen. Cheaper and easier to work with. I made up 12 of them.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 11:10:26 am »
So there's not a problem with forage bees drifting back to Q-rite box?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 02:07:22 pm »
So there's not a problem with forage bees drifting back to Q-rite box?
That is correct. With my setup some will also return to the top box using the top entrance.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 02:37:58 pm »
Watched video,  some i couldn't hear because of wind.
So in upper split boxes,  you added a good frame of capped, larva, fresh eggs with lots of nurse bee's and a good frame of stores (pollen, capped honey and uncapped ) so if forage bee's drift . There's enough resources to produce RJ? 
Everything I've been reading is when you split is feed, feed,feed and I'm assuming that's for starter strips or new foundation.

anything