Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Good value bee suit in Australia ?  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
Good value bee suit in Australia ?
« on: July 05, 2016, 01:53:13 am »
Hi,

I'm getting more serious about bees and am going to finally bite the bullet and get a good suit. Yes I have googled and searched forums, but shipping to Australia from US or other is a bit of a killer. It looks like some of the Australian beekeeping suppliers are reselling Chinese made suits that are cheaper on ebay.

I want a full body suit, ideally with a removable/attachable veil. I would like it to be durable and practical.

Can anyone suggest anything good? Hoping to spend between 100-200. Can buy locally in SE QLD / NE NSW.

Thanks

Culley

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
Re: Good value bee suit in Australia ?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 02:50:15 am »
I found a jacket with hood on eBay that had free shipping. Its the three layer mesh 'Ultra Breeze' style but obviously a cheaper knockoff. Came relatively quickly and seems to be good quality so far, and the breeze through it is great.. I forget exactly how much it was but it was definitely between 100 and 200. I can find the link for you if you like, I think the same seller has the full suits too.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 08:14:59 am »
With bee suits it's the old saying "you get what you pay for". It's up to you if you don't mind the bee stings etc. Good quality zipper,  or rather a  bad quality zipper will make you hate a bad suit. I've bought lots for me and others. I can't recall what I ever paid, and never will. I know it's different for  me  full time at it, but a bee sting is a bee sting and comfort is comfort. But a  cheap zipper or poor quality mesh that you can't see through against the sunshine, or even thin cotton that in two washes gets even thiner, they are the things that really get to you later.
Bottom line.. pay as much as you can, touch and feel before you buy.
Good luck let us ALL know what you decide.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 03:40:18 am »
My first (and current) suit is a white oversize business shirt with the front sewn up and a pair of white overalls. A fencing style hood finished it off. Elastic around the cuff wouldn't go astray but I wear gloves most times.

In the pipe line my wife purchased the material and a pattern to make a one piece suit with a zip off hood. Couldn't find a "Bee suit" pattern so a "onesy" pattern looks like it will be ideal as it is baggy and loose to get in and out of. Forgotten what the material is but it is cotton and polyester in a dense weave but not heavy.

Just have to finish a job I promised before she will start it - I think that is called blackmail.
David L

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 08:44:53 am »
Strange image of you working your bees in a "wombat onesy". Funny that.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 11:02:21 pm »
Strange image of you working your bees in a "wombat onesy". Funny that.

:tongue: :cheesy:
David L

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:38:02 am »
Found a suit for you. You can cut its head off and replace with a veil.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 10:28:11 am »
Thanks all who replied. I ended up buying a good quality pair of heavy duty long pants, a good leather belt, and from an op shop an oversized shirt. I intend to sew up the front of the shirt like Wombat has, and perhaps sew my veil to the collar of the shirt with a zip.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 08:14:30 pm »
So no onesy then?

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 04:56:09 am »
Check here: http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
$ 140 for a Vented full suit!!