Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cheaper to buy RTA hives in Australia?  (Read 16511 times)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
Re: Cheaper to buy RTA hives in Australia?
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2015, 02:37:14 am »
Guilfoyles

I believe they are about to or have moved from Wacol to Inala

I rung them asking about the budget boxes, got a whole story about how they don't specifically manufacture 'budget boxes' and they always use first grade timber.

Still going to get cypress, looks like if I cant get 250x25 boards my supplier will tongue and groove join 100 or 150mm together for me to make fulls.

Interesting how they list them in their catalogue - must just collect "seconds" and sell them off cheap when they are available.
David L

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2015, 07:42:41 am »
Well i've ordered locally enough gear to build 2 full hives and some spare. Couldn't put it off any longer as too much prep work to do, to have ready for when I find some bees and get going, before the peak time of tear is out. I decided on WSP in the end. Still not sure about my surface prep to put the hives on. I'm thinking for now, some old vinyl as a base, and a couple besser blocks may do, although I'm worried about ants & mice.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2015, 09:05:54 am »
Well i've ordered locally enough gear to build 2 full hives and some spare. Couldn't put it off any longer as too much prep work to do, to have ready for when I find some bees and get going, before the peak time of tear is out. I decided on WSP in the end. Still not sure about my surface prep to put the hives on. I'm thinking for now, some old vinyl as a base, and a couple besser blocks may do, although I'm worried about ants & mice.

Do you have cane toads in the area? If you do you will need to be 450mm off the ground - you will surprised at the number of toads hang around the hives at night
David L

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2015, 04:25:04 pm »
Do you have cane toads in the area? If you do you will need to be 450mm off the ground - you will surprised at the number of toads hang around the hives at night

Not yet we don't, but I suspect we're on their ever advancing front, so maybe in a couple of years. I'll keep that in mind. We get quite strong winds here, so I'm not sure just stack teo besser blocks is the answer to that.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 12:26:03 am »
Hi HCK, did you end up buying any timber from PGA in Carrum Downs for ideals?

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2016, 06:09:50 am »
No. Although because of this thread it set me off in search of other options. I Purchased a second grade pine through local saw mill. Timber was rough sawn so they machined it for me. It was 150mm x 25. The same cut as you would see in treated pine barge boards 6"?1"s in the old book. The saw mill also cut it to length 352 mm and 485 mm. The machining cut the width down to 145mm. I could go down to 143 mm but the 2mm is handy once I have assembled the box I trim the base and sand all surfaces as required. Whittlesea saw mill also did the rebate where the frames sit. I did the rebate for the side joins. All in all it worked out very cheap in comparison to a beekeeping suppliers.  It took a lot of foot work and phone calls. I started making enquiries in July and didn't get the product landed in my yard until September.  Some of that delay was my fault. In amongst that another local mill contacted me, he sources his own logs. So he can cut me A grade pinus radiata to what ever width length etc I want. So he cut me some timber which was a little more but we'll worth it as it was very good quality. I need to preorder from him as he will pick logs and select the best part for me.this can take a while if the logs coming in aren't good enough, or he is ripping the whole log for a larger order etc.
After all that being said I think anyone could go to a local saw mill and start from there with enquiry.
The downside was that I had to wait, but I assumed that when I started. I had to order a pack lot from my first saw mill so a lot of timber, which again was fine 400 boxes was what I needed and more was fine I just had to pay for all that now rather than over a year or two.
The second saw mill smaller quantity is fine.
So anyone out there reading this go local see what you find.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 08:57:24 am »
Once again great info, thanks

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2016, 07:07:07 am »
Great information! I bought some cheap wood I found in Bunnings. I'm not sure why, but some Bunnings supplied cheap wood, others didn't.

I need to build many supers this winter. My father has suggested to go to salvage yards, he reckons I can use all sorts of things to build beehives with, like pallets or whatever.

Where can I find these local timberyards? How much did you have to spend for your minimum orders? I tried to find some awhile ago, did some google searches but was unsuccessful.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2016, 09:29:17 am »
Where abouts are you located?. I found 2 saw mills locally. Do the foot work ask at a real hardware strore , a local one that knows the local suppliers or ask some good local carpenters or at a joinery etc. I did have to spend about $ 2500. Which was relative to the 400 plus boxes I built/building. Much cheaper than the cheap bunnings timber I've seen.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2016, 09:31:52 pm »
I'm located in the suburbs of South Australia. $2500 sure is a lot of money! I wouldn't be able to spend more than like $800. I'll need to ask around and do some research I suppose. Have you ever tried looking through salvage yards?

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2016, 09:33:42 am »
Salvage yard material has too much variation in material length width etc. Which is not a problem if your time is of little or no cost and you have bench saws, drop saws, thicknessers etc etc. Look around you may find a saw mill that do small batch. I know of another beek that found a buisness that makes pallets to order, you know particular to different packing eg fridges of ovens etc. They make boxes lids etc for him. I came across a old abandoned saw mill on a property the farmer let me take some. It was hardwood I made lids, pallets and nuec boxes out of it.not my timber of choice but lots of it for a little honey. At the time it suited me as it was winter and I have the tools to construct, but if you buy flat pack you pay for that. What ever suits you at the time.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2016, 08:06:24 am »
Salvage yarding does seem like a pain. I do have all that equipment. I'll have to look around some more. Doing simple Google searches didn't give me anything back.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2016, 08:34:32 am »
Try industrial areas where they leave pallets out the front of factories. Some have different things like that available. Some have the same pallets/packs available so if you find something that suits you can go there regularly.
Just another low cost option.
Good luck with whatever you go with.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2016, 04:48:52 am »
Try industrial areas where they leave pallets out the front of factories. Some have different things like that available. Some have the same pallets/packs available so if you find something that suits you can go there regularly.
Just another low cost option.
Good luck with whatever you go with.

Our local Bunnings leaves a pile of pallets out every Friday night free for the taking over the weekend - you have to be quick - I only go for the "thick" (25mm or more) so I can dress down. When I have enough I will make into boards (I have the gear) and then into hives. I also grab the ones covered in ply - 10-15mm thick -nice sheets. I use these for lids and bottom boards - OK they may not be marine ply but a good coat of paint they will last long enough for a freebie.
David L

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2016, 07:26:05 am »
Fascinating idea! I'll have to see if my local Bunnings does something similar. Might go for a drive one afternoon and see what I can find.

I struggle to differential between which woods are suitable, and which aren't. I brought home a book shelf that looked like solid wood one day, to only find it was veneer and not suitable.

How long do they last for

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2016, 09:35:40 am »
If the material is free and so too is your time . Then what's it matter and...... the only true way to find out "how long they will last" is time itself. Over the years I've used lots of different materials some fall to bits in less than 12 month others still going generations later. Still got boxes and lids made from army boxes for guns and ammunition etc, that were my grandfather's . Try something see what happens.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2016, 09:01:22 pm »
Innovative mentality! Some good points.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 03:48:52 am »
Fascinating idea! I'll have to see if my local Bunnings does something similar. Might go for a drive one afternoon and see what I can find

Take your trailer😉 Any thing not suitable for use ends up in the fire wood bin
David L