Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you use the correct filter in your OAV mask?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline ifixoldhouses

• House Bee
  • 2nd year bkpr 14 hives
    • BackyardBeesNC.com
Do you use the correct filter in your OAV mask?
« on: November 29, 2019, 09:34:08 pm »
I was using the wrong filter myself, till a subscriber pointed it out to me, I researched the subject and found there were no videos on the matter, well I made one up, it's the only one on Youtube  :grin:

Have a look   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkVGR42b31I&t=18s
BackyardBeesNC.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Do you use the correct filter in your OAV mask?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 10:20:50 am »
Great video. Many people miss the the part about gasses,  I know I did when I initially started using OA many years ago.   In fact I think the original protection back in the day was to just stand upwind from the pipe vaporizer as you heated it with the torch (in the days before the electric units).  A few years ago I dropped the extra money on a full face shield unit when I was using formic and don't regret it one bit.   I found a small sealing plastic container that it fits nicely into that I lined with a towel.   Now it is always in my truck and well protected.  In fact I still haven't changed the scratch protector on the lens.

I hope a lot of people come across your video since I know I have found a bunch of beeks that have been using the wrong filter.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 10:37:35 am »
I agree good video.

>  A few years ago I dropped the extra money on a full face shield unit when I was using formic and don't regret it one bit.

Robo are you still using formic? If so are you happy with it? I have brought up the subject here and found controversy over the subject. I am still however, interested.
Thanks
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 03:28:38 pm »
Robo are you still using formic? If so are you happy with it? I have brought up the subject here and found controversy over the subject. I am still however, interested.

Not a a primary treatment.  I find it too inconsistent and had to start using more and more which becomes detrimental to the bees.   Weather is usually not on my side either.   I still use it occasionally to test the efficacy of my OA treatments.   There is something about the reaction the bees make when you apply it that makes me wonder if it does effect them.   Bees seem to be oblivious to OA treatment and just continue on with their business.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline ifixoldhouses

• House Bee
  • 2nd year bkpr 14 hives
    • BackyardBeesNC.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 10:05:38 pm »
I argue with people all the time, they say the black band is all you need, look up the OSHA book on it and it says the black band is for OA, then there's a lil footnote that sends you to another page that says use the pink and yellow if you're vaporizing it.
BackyardBeesNC.com

anything