Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mimosa Trees and Honey Bees  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Mimosa Trees and Honey Bees
« on: June 16, 2021, 08:41:41 pm »
Anyone here having Mimosa Trees notice if bees frequent the blossoms?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Mimosa Trees and Honey Bees
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 10:44:20 am »
Since I posted this topic I found the following. I would still like to ask; Does  the mimosa produce an abundance of nectar? We had one when I was small.  I am thinking it bloomed most of the summer if I remember correctly. If this is correct this tree could be a real asset, especially when other sources of nectar dwindle?

Re: Flow ~> *Accelerating* (image intensive thread)
? Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 10:41:41 pm ?

BEE C~>
Your lucky to have the mimosa tree.  Ive heard that in south america and in the middle east the mimosa is called the bee tree.  It has been immortilized in mythology because of its association with bees.  Mimosa trees have an alkaloid that is almost identical to human serotonin.  If not mistaken, the worlds most expensive honey comes from the saudi area where there is a cult associated with the tree and the honey it produces.  Mimosa trees also figure prominently in the masonic myth of hirim...but i digress...
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 10:59:50 am »
Had a lot of them when I was in Texas great source of pollen but no nectar.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 11:51:34 am »

My mimosa just starting to bloom.  The bees like it.  Soon, the whole tree will be covered in blossoms.  Very fast growing tree.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

salvo

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 08:53:19 am »
Hi Folks,

I have three Mimosa in my yard, soon to bloom. One is about twenty years old. Bees and Humming birds enjoy them. Beautiful trees, fast growing, but week limbed. Pruning cuts don't heal well. Wind and snow damage them, but worth it.

My Japanese Lilac is swarming with all kinds of bugs right now, including my Honey Bees. Smells so sweet.

I have Lemon Grass. Just another plant to my bees. Now,... white clover in the lawn is a big thing for my bees. I have a deal with my wife, mow the back yard one week, the front the week after. Always clover in bloom. My wife learned to love the clover.

OH! And some of her plants, and the bird bath. That's a big deal. Also a patch of milkweed, popping maybe next week.

BTW: Carpenter Bees have moved into an old wooden birdhouse on a pole just beside a hive. Circling the hole, they were fanning in the heat. Loud humming. I don't know what the inside looks like. Cells? Little pockets? I'm not poking my face in front of the hole. I'll see when they leave.

I have a lot of Chipmunks around this year. What do they taste like and best way to prepare them? 

Sal

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 10:53:02 am »
I have a lot of Chipmunks around this year. What do they taste like and best way to prepare them?
They are quite small after you skin them. I suggest putting them on a skewer with veggies,  or four and twenty baking in a pie. :wink:
jimmy

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 12:48:55 pm »
BTW: Carpenter Bees have moved into an old wooden birdhouse on a pole just beside a hive. Circling the hole, they were fanning in the heat. Loud humming. I don't know what the inside looks like. Cells? Little pockets? I'm not poking my face in front of the hole. I'll see when they leave.
I know we are trailing off topic here, but Sal, carpenters usually drill tunnels into wood, and provision the nests with pollen balls for growing larvae.  I've never seen carpenters fanning, as they have no honey to dry.  Are these bees nesting in the bird house cavity, or are they in the wood of the birdhouse?  Because what you are describing sounds more to me like a bumblebee nest.  Bumblebees make little wax pots for storage of growing larvae, pollen, and a small amount of honey, and they loved used birdhouses.  Are you sure they are carpenters?         
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 01:20:11 pm »

> I know we are trailing off topic here

I started the topic and you good folks have done your best to answer and I thank you, so now let the conversation roll in any direction the current takes it. lol.   :cheesy: :wink:

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 05:22:58 pm »
Had a big one in my front yard growing up. I can remember it being covered in butterflies but not bees.