Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First swarm of 2021  (Read 3089 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
First swarm of 2021
« on: April 01, 2021, 12:26:25 am »
Monday I watched a lot of scout bees checking out a one deep and one medium swarm trap that I had set up about 10 days earlier. I could tell that they really liked it due to the number of bees and some of them were even dancing at the entrance. They kept checking it out until about 2 hours before sunset. I figured they would move in just before sunset. Then on Tuesday they were back checking it out in the morning. They did not move in until 5:00 Tuesday evening. It looks to bee a large swarm, it took over an hour before they were all inside the hive.

This picture was taken Monday morning.

It does not look like much but they were all over the hive most of Monday.

This was taken Monday afternoon.

And here they are just moving in on Tuesday, 5:00

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Re: First swarm of 2021
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 12:55:08 am »
That's awesome well done. I plan to put out some traps this year we will see how it goes.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 01:09:42 am »
Congratulations Jim. Is this close to the same location where you have caught swarms in the past? Nice swarm!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 08:25:29 am »
Are commercials near by?  Not one of your own I hope.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 08:43:15 am »
Congratulations Jim. Is this close to the same location where you have caught swarms in the past? Nice swarm!
No, this is at the farm. It is in my barn. The other large swarms were caught in front of my workshop in Jacksonville.
This is the first time I have set up a large trap here at the farm. I have caught small swarms, in nucs in this area before.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 08:51:03 am »
Are commercials near by?  Not one of your own I hope.
This is definitely not from the one hive that I have here. It came from the opposite direction. I watched where the scouts were coming from.
The commercial beekeepers have not placed a here hives here near me yet. I?m hoping this is from a feral hive that overwintered on its own.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 08:55:35 am »
Yesterday morning Judy and I moved this hive to our hive stand. Then I set up another double medium box in the same location. It is possible more than one hive was looking to move into this location.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 09:37:57 am »
That swarm looks HUGE.  TaDaaaa

Kudos Mr. Jim.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 09:47:33 am »
sawdstmakr;  Are you in an area that has the Africanized bee? 

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 01:06:58 pm »
Jim, what in tar nation is that propane tank hook up to the bottom deep? Well, that is what I see in the pic.  What is going on there?

???
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 02:39:00 pm »
That's awesome Jim!! That's a huge swarm.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 04:48:39 pm »
Nice catch. Does look like a good size swarm.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 05:42:34 pm »
sawdstmakr;  Are you in an area that has the Africanized bee? 
No, they stay south of the I-4 corridor. Thanks goodness.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 05:45:37 pm »
Nice catch. Does look like a good size swarm.
I?m pretty sure they are. It took a long time for them to move in. I won?t know until day 7, this coming Tuesday when I inspect them and put them on a regular bottom.

Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 05:47:03 pm »
I will not be surprised if they make a super of honey this spring.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 07:59:22 pm »
Van.
This hive model of Jim's comes with heated floors, gas insert fire places, and a tankless hot water system.
It's an upscale residence.
Jim. Congrats. It sure feels good catching those swarms. Especially the feral ones.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2021, 08:33:14 pm »
Van.
This hive model of Jim's comes with heated floors, gas insert fire places, and a tankless hot water system.
Jim. Congrats. It sure feels good catching those swarms. Especially the feral ones.

I?m not Van but how could they resist with all those amenities? Good post Bob!   
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 08:38:03 pm »
Well done  nice size hive

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2021, 09:30:41 pm »
Van.

🤗
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2021, 09:46:53 am »
Van.

The Fisher Island Hive, ok, I get it.  A ritzy wealthy hive.  Is the queen named Cleopatra?  Just poking fun at Jim, our administrator, we all adore the fella.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2021, 11:08:33 am »
Van.

I?m not Van but how could they resist with all those amenities? Good post Bob!   
The Fisher Island Hive, ok, I get it.  A ritzy wealthy hive.  Is the queen named Cleopatra?  Just poking fun at Jim, our administrator, we all adore the fella.
Haha!  You guys are cracking me up.  I actually had a queen named Cleopatra!  :cheesy: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2021, 12:28:58 pm »
I like it Member! Great guess Mr Van, Cleopatra,  you nailed it!  :grin:   See Geoff, even her queens are Royalty!! and I doubt they will be making the trip you requested either. lol

.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 12:45:39 pm by Ben Framed »

anything