Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fermenting Honey  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: Fermenting Honey
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 08:50:01 am »
Wash it out.
Didn?t think of that. Got a couple spots of mold where there was a cluster of dead bees. I was thinking just cut that section out or will they clean mold up?  Thanks

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 03:09:01 pm »
The bees will remove the mold.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 05:47:10 pm »
The mold is there because they weren't using that comb so it wasn't cleaned.  They will clean it before they use it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 11:16:46 am »
All frames that come from dead-outs I dunk in a bleach/ water solution then shake and let air dry before reinstalling.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 08:03:12 am »
All frames that come from dead-outs I dunk in a bleach/ water solution then shake and let air dry before reinstalling.
Chlorine combines with other elements to form other compounds with chorine in it.  The water evaporates but the compounds don't.  Bees clean primarily by licking.  You might clean your dogs paws with a chlorine wipe but it is not good for the dog.
People treat their hives with oxalic acid and claim it doesn't hurt the bees.  That makes my brain hurt thinking of the bees licking up the crystals.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2021, 10:07:32 pm »
Well I will say this. I have lost way fewer bees since I became so anal about the bleach.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Fermenting Honey
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2021, 01:01:57 am »
Thank you all for your input on the fermented honey--I'm going to give the Meade a try! (Big Grin).  :)

Especially good after a long hot day in the beeyards. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2021, 01:10:34 am »
Thank you all for your input on the fermented honey--I'm going to give the Meade a try! (Big Grin).  :)

Especially good after a long hot day in the beeyards. 

I?m totally jealous at the moment.

On a trip in Arizona at the moment and I could sure use a glass of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Fermenting Honey
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2021, 02:14:22 am »
I feel bad for you having to tread through the desert.  So bad that I will pour out another one and cheer/toast your name on each tipping and sipping of the glass until that one is empty too.  . Hope that helps you feel better.  I know that I am going to feel better on this end. LoL.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

anything