Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: type of paper for labeling honey jars  (Read 1359 times)

Offline hydrocynus

• New Bee
    • Beekeepers Association of Southwest Florida
type of paper for labeling honey jars
« on: January 03, 2019, 07:53:20 pm »
Hello,

I have screened through the forum and found some answers but not all about the type of paper for honey labels. It looks like that the most waterproof is the 4mil vinyl label, however, it feels a bit overkill. Customers will not submerge their honey long to clean it from honey drips and removing crystallization from honey can be done by other means than hot water (as some explain on this forum). Labels can also be applied just before the sale.

Any of you use 70lbs paper with a gloss or gloss + UV coating? Any use laminate? Just curious. 1000 labels printed will be about $60 bucks (2" by 2.5") whilst gloss with UV is about $40. Not a HUGE difference, I have to admit.

Thanks for your answers.

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
Re: type of paper for labeling honey jars
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:35:42 pm »
I use paper Labels maybe 120g/sqm with a shiny finish.
Labeled straight after filling. But i cream all my honey.

Sometimes i get questioned for liquid honey, then i liquify it in an incubator, but i don't do that often and don't advertise it. Liquifing honey in jars is a real pain and it takes several days in an incubator and even then if you still have a crystal leftover, the honey re-settles quite fast.

If i sell liquid honey in buckets (wholesale) i got a imersion heater, that takes only a couple hours for a 40 kg bucket.

Best is to fill as much as you need and kniw from experience will stay liquid long enough and just cream all other.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 11:18:55 pm »
I just use the 2 inch round labels, 12 to a sheet. I found the white ones work best. I do not think they are water proof.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 12:07:05 am »
I made up my label with the picture, what I wanted on it etc, carried it to local office depot and they printed it any time I need more I just go by and they run me off some more.   

Happy New Year to All and their bees,

Joe D

Offline hydrocynus

• New Bee
    • Beekeepers Association of Southwest Florida
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 09:57:04 am »
Thank you all. I found another source for printing labels online that not only offers free slow shipping and no taxes but also has a plethora of options for sizes, shapes and the difference between gloss and vinyl is only a few bucks. 1000 labels 2.25x2.5? is $41 shipped for vinyl.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 10:00:08 am »
The more you value your honey the better the label has to be.  I used a clear vinyl label with white or black ink.  White for liquid honey and black for creamed.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 01:08:14 pm »
Thank you all. I found another source for printing labels online that not only offers free slow shipping and no taxes but also has a plethora of options for sizes, shapes and the difference between gloss and vinyl is only a few bucks. 1000 labels 2.25x2.5? is $41 shipped for vinyl.

That sounds great - can you PM me the information on that website? ... or post here if moderators approve?
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

anything