Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wasp killer used on a cutout  (Read 2664 times)

Offline ezbees

• New Bee
Wasp killer used on a cutout
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:41:19 pm »
I performed a cutout for a customer, but before they decided they were in over their heads they used ~4 cans of the wasp killer that comes in a spray can near the entrance of the hive.

I removed the comb and there is 30-40 lbs of honey in various stages of being capped, even some crystallized honey in comb. I understand that it is likely not safe for consumption but before I trash it I wanted to see if there was any other purpose I could use it for.

And plenty of bees survived the spraying I guess.....I placed them into a hive body and gave them a new home!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Wasp killer used on a cutout
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:17:03 pm »
>And plenty of bees survived the spraying I guess....

So far...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ezbees

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:12:30 pm »
I understand....but if I have plenty of boxes and the bees have to be removed I'll try to rescue them from under informed homeowners... My question was primarily regarding....is there any use for the 30 lbs of honey I gathered or do I need to get rid of it?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 08:49:29 am »
There are two schools of thought.  One is that the spray must not have penetrated the cavity and the honey probably isn't that contaminated.  The other is that it only takes little insecticide to kill a lot of bees... I tend toward the latter.  I would rather throw away honey than kill bees...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ezbees

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 09:33:03 am »
Sounds good to me. Better safe than sorry where bees are concerned.

Offline Shane1962

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 10:08:31 pm »
I received a call where a beekeeper used wasp spray and it drove the bees further into the house.
They were coming out every where and the owners were freaking out. The whole situation was a disaster.
I hate working in conditions like this with bug spray all over the place and of course I had to breath the fumes.