Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Giant Asian Hornet Threat to Bees  (Read 5764 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Giant Asian Hornet Threat to Bees
« on: December 23, 2019, 01:50:08 pm »
I awoke to new articles about a giant asian hornet spotted in my state, Washington. I read some more about it and found out that it can destroy honey bee colonies. Another thing to worry about. The sting from this bee can kill humans and has in China and Japan. I will be looking out for these massive 2 inch long bees.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Giant Asian Hornet Threat to Bees
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 02:52:38 pm »
Xerox, I have read about human deaths attributed to this wasp. The info I read always involved an individual that inadvertently stumble upon a nest, doing such chores as weed eating.

In my area we have the European hornet, a close resemblance to the Asian wasp with the difference being a red throax with the European wasp.  The European has a paper nest, like the more common bald face hornet.  The European wasp numbers less than a hundred but not so with the Asian that can number in the hundreds.

I have kill several of the European wasp in my apiary.  My experience is that when the European wasp find my apiary, they will visit every morning and evening taking my bees with each unwelcome visit.  My bees are helpless against such a huge predatory wasp.  I have yet to find their nest which resembles the football paper nest.  The Asians will build a ground nest and can number in the hundreds as mentioned earlier.

I do not believe my bee suit would afford me protection as these type of wasp have a heavily duty larger stinger compared to my honey bees.
Blessings
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 03:53:06 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 03:03:41 pm »
I have noticed one weakness to which I can exploit regarding the European wasp.  The wasp hover close to my hives so they can grab a honeybee in flight.  I can swat the hovering European wasp, knock it to the ground, them step on it.  I probably attain about 25 percent success swatting, the wasp are fast and if I miss the European wasp quickly fly away.  They do not attempt to chase me.  The Asian wasp, I just don?t know as I have never dealt with such, only the huge European wasp have I encountered.
Van

I use the word WASP, actually the word HORNET is better, correct; that is European Hornet.  I actually do not know the difference between wasp and hornet??  Anybody know this difference????
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:55:42 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 03:11:41 pm »
Note the red on the thorax.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 05:00:42 pm »
Xerox, do you are anyone else know the difference between a wasp, a hornet and a bee?  I just realize I do not know the actual difference????
Van

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 06:06:29 pm »
Xerox, do you are anyone else know the difference between a wasp, a hornet and a bee?  I just realize I do not know the actual difference????
Van

Bees pollinate and make their own food while hornets and wasps are carnivores and hunt for meat. I don't know the difference between hornets and wasps.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 06:12:41 pm »
Van
Bees pollinate and make their own food while hornets and wasps are carnivores and hunt for meat. I don't know the difference between hornets and wasps.
Xerox is correct.  Bees' source of protein is pollen, whereas wasps eat meat to get their protein.  Hornets are a type of wasp.  Anatomically they have a particularly shaped head and abdomen that identifies them as hornets, and they make their paper nests INSIDE a structure, like a hollow tree or something similar.  The only true hornet in the US is the European hornet.  (I believe the sighting in Washington is the first confirmed sighting of the Asian hornet in the US, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.)  Other wasps that we call "hornets", like the bald faced hornets are not true hornets.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 06:51:22 pm »
Van
Xerox is correct.  Bees' source of protein is pollen, whereas wasps eat meat to get their protein.  Hornets are a type of wasp.  Anatomically they have a particularly shaped head and abdomen that identifies them as hornets, and they make their paper nests INSIDE a structure, like a hollow tree or something similar.  The only true hornet in the US is the European hornet.  (I believe the sighting in Washington is the first confirmed sighting of the Asian hornet in the US, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.)  Other wasps that we call "hornets", like the bald faced hornets are not true hornets.   

Yes it is the first sighting in the US. Hopefully it doesn't spread to other parts.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 09:21:33 pm »
20 minute video of an actual Japanese Hornet sting,  the fella in the video travels the world to get stung and post the video.  This hornet is incredible, much more dangerous than I realized.  Compared in pain to the bullet ant of Brazil and the Texas giant centipede, arguably the most powerful painful stings in the world by an insect.

Note the fast huge swelling and screaming pain of shear agony.

https://youtu.be/i7VMcMJBjD4

I?ll check the link, does not look correct to me.  I will fix if needed.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 01:59:29 am »
20 minute video of an actual Japanese Hornet sting,  the fella in the video travels the world to get stung and post the video.  This hornet is incredible, much more dangerous than I realized.  Compared in pain to the bullet ant of Brazil and the Texas giant centipede, arguably the most powerful painful stings in the world by an insect.

Note the fast huge swelling and screaming pain of shear agony.

https://youtu.be/i7VMcMJBjD4

I?ll check the link, does not look correct to me.  I will fix if needed.

Some people describe the pain as a hot nail being driven into your body. Pretty scary

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 11:45:46 am »
Xerox,
Washington state needs to do an all out search and destroy effort to kill all of these Hornets while their numbers are small. We do not want these predators spreading across the US.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 12:51:29 pm »
Xerox,
Washington state needs to do an all out search and destroy effort to kill all of these Hornets while their numbers are small. We do not want these predators spreading across the US.
Jim Altmiller

They are trying. They've already killed one colony on Vancouver Island

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 02:24:01 pm »
Just what we need, another bee predator...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 02:26:37 pm »
Yes they should be eliminated if , that can happen.
BTW what was temp. ? at time hornet was seen ?

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 04:52:45 pm »
Yes they should be eliminated if , that can happen.
BTW what was temp. ? at time hornet was seen ?

I dont know exactly but it's been about 40-50 degrees around the time it was found.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 05:27:28 pm »
Are they ground hornets ?

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 07:29:07 pm »

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 07:59:50 pm »
There are YouTube videos of these Asian hornets destroying an itialian hive.  Only takes 40-50 hornets to completely destroy an Italian hive numbering 20,000-30,000.  The hornets, with their huge jaws, easily remove the heads of honeybees, then feast on the honeybee brood.

The local honey bees of Japan have evolved a strategy to eliminate the Asian hornet scout.  The honeybees invite the hornet into the hive showing no resistance, then in a quick move the honeybees surround the Asian bee and ball the hornet killing the hornet with heat.  The honey bees ball the hornet, just like balling an undesirable queen bee and the honey bees use their wing muscles to generate heat thus killing the Asian scout.

To my knowledge, this strategy is only known to the Japanese honey bee.  The hornets are armor plated and impervious to honeybee stings, the only weak spot is heat generate by honey bees in a tight ball.

Happy Holidays
Van

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2019, 08:22:51 pm »
There are YouTube videos of these Asian hornets destroying an itialian hive.  Only takes 40-50 hornets to completely destroy an Italian hive numbering 20,000-30,000.  The hornets, with their huge jaws, easily remove the heads of honeybees, then feast on the honeybee brood.

The local honey bees of Japan have evolved a strategy to eliminate the Asian hornet scout.  The honeybees invite the hornet into the hive showing no resistance, then in a quick move the honeybees surround the Asian bee and ball the hornet killing the hornet with heat.  The honey bees ball the hornet, just like balling an undesirable queen bee and the honey bees use their wing muscles to generate heat thus killing the Asian scout.

To my knowledge, this strategy is only known to the Japanese honey bee.  The hornets are armor plated and impervious to honeybee stings, the only weak spot is heat generate by honey bees in a tight ball.

Happy Holidays
Van

It's amazing that they can kill intruders with purely heat

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2019, 02:09:00 am »
The honey bees can generate 116 degrees F and survive but hornets are cooked at 114 degrees F.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2019, 01:40:14 pm »
> Are they ground hornets ?

I'm no expert, but what I was reading on honeybeesuite said they nest high up in a tree...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2019, 07:59:06 pm »
I guess it possible the Asian hornets to live in a tree but I believe ground nesting is preferred.  The nest is composed of stackable combs and takes a considerable size cavity.  A YouTube video exposed a ground nest about 3 feet deep and 2 feet wide with the layered paper or stackable paper nest.  Similar to a yellow jacket, only bigger.

The European hornets which visit my apiary killing my bees build the football size paper nest: like the bald face hornets.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2019, 09:59:41 pm »
I guess it possible the Asian hornets to live in a tree but I believe ground nesting is preferred.  The nest is composed of stackable combs and takes a considerable size cavity.  A YouTube video exposed a ground nest about 3 feet deep and 2 feet wide with the layered paper or stackable paper nest.  Similar to a yellow jacket, only bigger.

The European hornets which visit my apiary killing my bees build the football size paper nest: like the bald face hornets.

We found a bald faced hornet nest in a apple tree about five years ago in my grandparents garden and we captured it and froze it so all the bees die. We have it laying around somewhere.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2019, 07:14:03 pm »
These have not been found in AR.  They have only been found in OR that I know of...
-------------------

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2019, 10:02:03 pm »
What are THESE??  If your talking Asian hornets, agreed.
Enjoy the holidays.
Van

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2019, 11:09:01 pm »

I'm no expert, but what I was reading on honeybeesuite said they nest high up in a tree...

Quote from honeybeesuite;

Inconspicuous underground cavities. mid paragraph.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2019, 11:46:28 pm »

Quote from honeybeesuite;

Inconspicuous underground cavities. mid paragraph.

I can believe the pain that could come from accidentally stepping on a nest

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2019, 01:41:43 pm »
I wonder if a can of tuna with a few drops of Frontline tick and flea solution would work on these hornets.  I know it works amazingly well on yellow jackets.  I had a lot of yellow jackets bothering my hive in late August.  After a treated tin of flake light tuna they disappeared in about 2-3 days.  About a week and a half later I saw the odd small wasp but never any numbers after that.  There's Youtube videos on it and they use cat food but the yellow jackets I had never touched it.  Regular flake tuna they covered in about 2 minutes after I put it out.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2019, 04:41:08 pm »
Van. I also saw that video of the honey bees balling and over heating the hornet. By the way, I also swatt troublesome hornets/yellow jacket queens/carpenter bees. I have found that the best swatter is a badmitton racket... we call it "bee badmitton". The racket is light weight, fast, and has a large striking area.
Let the games commence!!!

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2019, 09:55:55 pm »
Van. I also saw that video of the honey bees balling and over heating the hornet. By the way, I also swatt troublesome hornets/yellow jacket queens/carpenter bees. I have found that the best swatter is a badmitton racket... we call it "bee badmitton". The racket is light weight, fast, and has a large striking area.
Let the games commence!!!

Wasps:0
Badminton racket: 1

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2019, 12:59:07 am »
By the way, I also swatt troublesome hornets/yellow jacket queens/carpenter bees.
As a native bee enthusiast, I would just like to mention that unless the carpenter bees are actively nesting in your wooden ware, they really aren?t doing any harm around the hives. They are probably just investigating the hive because it smells like a food source, but the honey bees won?t let them enter. Carpenter bees are important pollinators of fruits like berries and tomatoes that benefit from buzz pollination, where the bees vibrate to release the pollen from the plants? stamen, which is something honey bees are incapable of doing.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2019, 10:33:53 am »
By the way, I also swatt troublesome hornets/yellow jacket queens/carpenter bees.
As a native bee enthusiast, I would just like to mention that unless the carpenter bees are actively nesting in your wooden ware, they really aren?t doing any harm around the hives. They are probably just investigating the hive because it smells like a food source, but the honey bees won?t let them enter. Carpenter bees are important pollinators of fruits like berries and tomatoes that benefit from buzz pollination, where the bees vibrate to release the pollen from the plants? stamen, which is something honey bees are incapable of doing.
They are the main pollinator of our Blueberry plants here in north Florida. Even with hundreds of hives, I mostly see carpenter bees on the blue berries.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2019, 03:45:59 pm »
True about the carpenter bees. I stand corrected. They are very beneficial. I didn't see any honey bees in my vegetable garden, even though the hive was just 35 feet away, but the carpenter bees were there pollinating. However, although I keep my outside wooden structures painted, sometimes they wear me out.

anything