Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Inspecting hive when rains in sight  (Read 2382 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
Inspecting hive when rains in sight
« on: December 21, 2019, 10:50:51 am »
I need to inspect but the popcorn showers / rainstorms are playing with me.
Is it better to inspect before a rain or after?
I was thinking if they all hibernate before an event it may make for heavy frames and hard to see. Am I crazy ?
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Inspecting hive when rains in sight
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 11:31:36 am »
Good question Salty. Are inspections best performed before or after a rain? ... I'd like to know the answer to that also.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 12:26:47 pm »
I think you should play it safe and inspect after because the rain could move in quickly and catch you in the middle of an inspection. Father the rain ends you don't have the threat of rain coming and having to quickly do a inspection. If it is very light rain you could probably inspect I've done this before with no harm to the bees.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 12:33:16 pm »
I've posted many times.  Look at the sky. If you would allow roofers to take the roof off your house to do work, then it is safe to work in your bees. If you wouldn't allow them to, the bees aren't going to allow you to take their roof off either.  The worse attack I have ever had from a hive was when you could see the clouds on the horizon and smell the rain coming in, but it had not gotten there.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 01:48:54 pm »
Salty, I don?t even like to open a hive if the weather is cloudy.  A good sunny day is best.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 04:00:15 pm »
Well I need some clear skies- these girls are showing growth and orientation - funny that all 3 hives have their own time of day for the orientation
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 04:24:25 pm »
Bees seem to sense changes in atmospheric conditions and will return to the hive if bad weather is approaching, so yes more bees to deals with.
If you have a rain and the rain washes the nectar from the flowers the even though the weather may be fine the bees are hungry for nectar and seem to be easily upset. We usually don't work hives the day after rain if possible.
Warm bees with who have honey collecting in their minds are the easiest to work with.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 11:49:14 am »
As mentioned, do not go in your hives with rain threatening. My bee Inspecter came to do an inspection on a dreary day. I asked him if he really wanted to open the hives in this weather and he insisted. I don?t normally put my jacket on but I did that day. One of my calm hives tore him up so bad that he had to go and get his cloves. He then took a sample to test for Africanized Bees. It wasn?t the genetics, it was the weather. All of the hives were aggressive that day.
Blue skies are best for inspections.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 11:57:50 am »
Wise words, Jim and Beavo.  One would do well to remember.
Cheers
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 01:44:31 pm »
I wish this thread was posted in April of this year. :smile:

Tom

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 08:45:28 pm »
Pity the queen breeder, I've watched Dave Miksa's crew working under a big umbrella.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 09:54:33 am »
Michael has also commented about having to work his hives for queens in bad weather.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 02:34:54 pm »
>Michael has also commented about having to work his hives for queens in bad weather.

Emerging queens wait for no man...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything