Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Early Swarms  (Read 1125 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Early Swarms
« on: December 20, 2019, 04:17:20 pm »
In your personal experience, what is the earliest that you have witnessed swarms? Just as importantly, what is the earliest Month that you have learned knowledge of swarms less your own personal experience?
Also, what was the temperature during such events? Note that I am taking in consideration your locations.
Thanks all,
Phillip

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:12:43 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Re: Early Swarms
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 06:35:19 pm »
I think about April can be the earliest month a hive will swarm. Thats usually when the queen is in full throttle with egg laying and the hive can fill up quickly.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 06:48:09 pm »
I think about April can be the earliest month a hive will swarm. Thats usually when the queen is in full throttle with egg laying and the hive can fill up quickly.

Yes this is a general idea and accepted and the earliest I have seen swarming here.   Anyone else experienced swarming earlier than April? Again your location is taken into consideration.
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 07:37:09 pm »
Early swarming begins here in February some years. Depends on location (temps, nectar flow, etc). By late Feb, hives are really gaining weight here - late Jan some years. Any hive that exited "winter" in strong shape, is going to start swarming soon after the flow is on. Very location dependant.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 11:44:52 pm »
Thanks Alan and xerox.
Phillip

anything