BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > RAPID BEEYARD GROWTH

What to feed

(1/5) > >>

teebo:
for spring built-up can you just feed sugar water, or do you have to feed pollen patties also? :?

Michael Bush:
>for spring built-up can you just feed sugar water, or do you have to feed pollen patties also?

They won't build up in the spring unless they have adequate stores of honey and adequate amounts of pollen.  If there is a lot of pollen in the hive, it may not make much difference if you feed pollen.  If there is not it will make a lot of difference.  The same with stores.  If they are at all light in stores they will hesitate to start raising a lot of brood.  If they have syrup then they get the impression that there is a source of nectar coming in and they are more willing to raise brood.

To distill that down, it makes a lot of difference if they don't have it.

Once there is a source of fresh pollen they tend to ignore the pollen patties.

pdmattox:
I use syrup from dadant and feed continusly from the top of  the hive to make mine build up fast.  They were bringing in their own pollen.

Finsky:

--- Quote from: pdmattox on February 19, 2007, 05:40:20 pm ---I use syrup from dadant and feed continusly from the top of  the hive to make mine build up fast.  They were bringing in their own pollen.

--- End quote ---

You live in Florida. Pollen feeding is used when nature give not pollen. Sugar feeding does not help in spring build up if bees have not pollen.

Strange thing. Just when one discussion is finished it begins again and same guys use same speech. :-P
And we each have learned nothing.

Ivan:
Can i feed syrup with terramycin or other medesins when there is no brood? Will it help?
Thanks!
Ivan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version