MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

The Life of the Outlaw

<< < (4/6) > >>

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on September 14, 2019, 01:51:34 am ---Marty Robbins was truly gifted, and possessed the art of transferring this gift to pen and paper. His imagination was out of the roof, and had the talent to put it to music. One of his sons is a Minister and also has a good voice.  I have heard him sing and really like his style. There are many of Martys songs that I like but the most powerful, in my opinion, is the one that I posted in post 1. I suppose the reason that I choose it is because he gives God Glory in it. 
Hum I had better be careful or I may start sounding like a music critic  :shocked:
Member, all three of the songs that you posted, just perviously, would make a great theme for an outstanding western, if we were hooked up with the right people.
Phillip 

--- End quote ---
Yeah, absolutely.  I particularly like how "Feleena" reinvents the story.  We find out that the original "El Paso" sort of has a compromised narrator.  The cowboy in "El Paso" says "Blacker than night were the eyes of Feleena, wicked and evil while casting a spell."  He blames Feleena for what happened to him, although he still loves her.  After the gunfight he runs, but only one verse later, he decides to come back because "[his] love is stronger than [his] fear of death."  His reasoning is "maybe tomorrow a bullet may find me, tonight nothing's worse than this pain in my heart."  So he's a hothead; he's running on short term emotions and living without considering the consequences, and this is the kind of thinking that leads him to blame Feleena.  But in "Feleena" the narrator is 3rd person, and therefore more trustworthy, and we get to see her side of the story, and I think that is really fair to her as character, because if we didn't have her song, all we'd know is what the cowboy thought about what happened, and not what really happened.  As a writer, I find that whole concept really interesting, that Marty chose to tell the same story in different ways and to examine it from multiple angles. 

How's that for being a critic?  :wink:  :cheesy:           

TheHoneyPump:
My favourite is big iron

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: TheHoneyPump on September 15, 2019, 01:09:09 pm ---My favourite is big iron

--- End quote ---
Ooh, that's a good one too.  I also like Johnny Cash's cover of that song. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9-LYLnu4I

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on September 15, 2019, 06:48:43 pm ---
--- Quote from: TheHoneyPump on September 15, 2019, 01:09:09 pm ---My favourite is big iron

--- End quote ---
Ooh, that's a good one too.  I also like Johnny Cash's cover of that song. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9-LYLnu4I

--- End quote ---

Yep HP. That was a good one alright.
Member, the song is so descriptive and so clear about drawing a mental picture of the events involved in the story that even I might sound good singing it. Haa haa.  :wink: J/K   I like Marties version better.

Have any of you heard Merle Haggard singing Marths songs? They were good friends. Merl named one of his sons Marty Haggard  I will try and find one and post it here for you.
Phillip

Ben Framed:
https://youtu.be/3qJRxrmH-po

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version