BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > RAPID BEEYARD GROWTH

Swarm Trap Study Results

<< < (2/14) > >>

Michael Bush:
>I've got lemongrass oil, I hope that is sufficient.

In my experience it works just as well as the commercial lure.

Farmdon:
In terms of size, the swarm traps used seem to be anywhere from 5 frame nuc to single deep box.  I have noticed from my tree cut-outs (trees being cut anyway), that many are only the size of a 3-5 frame nuc. I wonder if I mix it up this year and deploy a variety of sizes (5 frame nucs and single deep) ...... what the results might be. My guess is that the entrance opening is an important factor, so that a small swarm might not past a s-t if it has an entrance they can defend. Maybe 5 framers around the wooded areas and full deeps around those pumpkin pollinator bees .... kinda match the house they are coming from.

I bought some cheap lemongrass oil last year. It's strong for a day or two anyway then begins to degrade. I'm still cheap however, so I will use it again this year.

The balance to all this talk is found in the fishing analogy. I have to fish where there are swarms moving. It was a tough year for me this past year because of the drought and late freeze. I am ready to have great results this year. I am also tired of that work thing getting in the way of my beekeeping ...... if I could only overcome that desire to eat, I could stop working and devote myself to taking care of my girls.

livetrappingbymatt:
each season a few swarms are caught with commercial lures,in 5 frame nucs that have held bees( bee smell in wood) .Most will use the 5 frame bx but there are aleays some that refuse for these a 8 frame deep may be the answer?
trapping swarms is an interesting side line,some what like fishing ,trapping or even hunting.
traps placed near cutout sites will almost always produce 1 if not more swarms.
bob evans

Vetch:

--- Quote from: Farmdon on January 29, 2008, 08:31:25 pm ---Should we assume that the lemongrass oil trick was  not tested? Only the real store bought stuff?

It seems prudent to rub a little beeswax on the frames. My bees kinda turn their collective noses up at my plastic foundation until I rub a generous amount of beeswax on them ......I know its not the same, but it may not hurt.

--- End quote ---

According to wikipedia, "Nasonov includes a number of different terpenoids including geraniol, nerolic acid, citral and geranic acid. Bees use these to find the entrance to their colony or hive, and they release them on flowers so other bees know which flowers have nectar. ...  Synthetically produced Nasonov consists of citral and geraniol in a 2:1 ratio."

Lemongrass oil is usually around 80% citral.  Some types of Citronella Grass oils are mostly geraniol and citronellol - I don't know if the citronellol would have a positive or negative effect.  Other good plant sources of geraniol include rose, rosapalma (a species related to lemon grass) and geranium oil (pelargonium). 

How does spritzing up with lemongrass grass oil before inspecting a hive affect the bees??

ikeepbees:
I'd sure like to hear everyone's experiences with trap placement and its effect on results (Justin?)

How much of a difference does it make? As I've mentioned before, I'm lazy! I want to put out a few traps this year, as I always have extra equipment lying around, but I prefer not to climb if it's not necessary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version