BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

Apiguard vs. ApiLife Var

(1/2) > >>

The15thMember:
I have a hive that needs a varroa treatment, and I found a bee place near me that carries both Apiguard and ApiLife Var, and I'd like to try one or the other.  I know they are both thymol based products, but what are the differences between them?  Which one would you guys recommend? 

jimineycricket:
You did not get much response on your post. I have used Apilife Var and thought it did a good job.   I also like Apiguard.  The biggest difference this time of year is the temperature parameters for each one.  (You might look at "Scientific Beekkeeping.com" in regard to the Apiguard.)
   jimmy

Ben Framed:
I did not comment because I have not used either. I was waiting on the answers also. :smile:

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: jimineycricket on October 13, 2019, 09:14:44 pm ---You did not get much response on your post. I have used Apilife Var and thought it did a good job.   I also like Apiguard.  The biggest difference this time of year is the temperature parameters for each one.  (You might look at "Scientific Beekkeeping.com" in regard to the Apiguard.)
   jimmy

--- End quote ---
Thanks, Jimmy, that article was really helpful.  Just the sort of thing I was looking for. 

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on October 13, 2019, 10:32:21 pm ---I did not comment because I have not used either. I was waiting on the answers also. :smile:

--- End quote ---
Don't worry, Phillip, I knew you weren't ignoring me for no reason.  :happy:

I was really just looking for recommendations if anyone had any; I expect both products will work just fine.  I'll also talk to the people at the bee store and see what advice they can give me. 

The15thMember:
I've got a question about these thymol treatments.  Apiguard says the temp should be above 60 degrees F, and Apilife Var says temps should be between 64-95 degrees F.  Does this means that the daytime highs need to be in the 60s, or that the nighttime lows need to be in the 60s?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version